The B.C. government is currently conducting ongoing field trials at six demonstration sites in the Fraser Valley B.C. and three demonstration sites in the Okanagan region.
Demonstration sites test the vegetative buffer design process and help build the information provided in the guidebook. This information, in addition to other research from across Canada and the United States, was used to develop the Beneficial Management Practice specific to B.C. Presently the Beneficial Management Practices have been tailored for farms within the climate of B.C.’s Lower Mainland and Okanagan region.
Between 2012 and 2014, ten farms were selected to demonstrate the benefits of vegetative buffers in the Lower Mainland and the Southern Interior. These farms reflect many of the challenges farmers face today in rural landscapes with multiple land uses and encroaching urban areas.
- Site 1: Poultry Broiler Operation – Double story barn, side ventilation (Abbotsford)
- Site 2: Poultry Broiler Operation – Two single story barns, side ventilation (Abbotsford)
- Site 3: Poultry Broiler Operation – Double story barn, side ventilation (Chilliwack)
- Site 4: Poultry Layer Operation – Side ventilation (Abbotsford)
- Site 5: Raspberry Operation and Poultry Layer – Tunnel ventilation (Abbotsford)
- Site 6: Dairy Operation (Abbotsford - coming soon)
- Site 7: Orchard – Organic (Lake Country - coming soon)
- Site 8: Vineyard – Organic (Kelowna - coming soon)
- Site 9: Hog – Pasture raised, organic (Armstrong - coming soon)
- Site 10: Herb Farm – Organic (Surrey - coming soon)