9.4 Wireless Access
General Policy Description
The Ministry of Health allows wireless access to PharmaNet from tested, secure wireless Local Area Networks, subject to the PharmaNet Access Restrictions cited above.
To use wireless access to connect to PharmaNet, users/facilities must
- Comply with Office of the Chief Information Officer (OCIO) wireless standards.
- Secure wireless Local Area Networks and equipment must comply with the wireless standards specified by the OCIO of BC as set forth in the Information Management/Information Technology Standards Manual (PDF, 391KB)
- Provide appropriate staff training.
- All new and current employees must be provided with information about the facility’s wireless policy and procedures as they relate to access to PharmaNet
- Ensure proper incident reporting.
- Users/facilities must ensure that employees report all information security incidents to whoever signed the Attestation of Compliance. Security incidents are defined in the Government of British Columbia’s Information Security Policy (PDF, 216KB)
- Any incidents must be handled in accordance with the OCIO wireless standards
- Complete an Attestation of Compliance.
- Attestation forms are available through the Requirements for Wireless Access to PharmaNet website.
Pharmacies should send their signed Attestation of Compliance to:
Health Insurance BC, Information Support,
PO Box 9655 STN PROV GOVT
Victoria BC V8W 9P2
All other points of service should send their signed Attestation of Compliance to:
Health Data Access Services, Health Sector IM/IT Division, Ministry of Health,
PO Box 9640
STN PROV GOVT
Victoria BC V8W 9P1
Once you receive an e-mail confirmation from the Ministry, you may implement wireless access to PharmaNet.
Attestations must be renewed every two years. The Ministry, however, reserves the right to require re attestation at any time (e.g., following the publication of major changes to the wireless standards).
Facilities that do not satisfy these requirements are not permitted to use wireless technology to access PharmaNet.
Any facility that fails to comply with the above procedures in the deployment and use of wireless technology will have to terminate their wireless connection to PharmaNet and any other systems the Ministry specifies.
Tools and Resources
- Information Management/Information Technology Standards Manual (PDF, 391KB)
- Government of British Columbia’s Information Security Policy (PDF, 216KB)
- Requirements for Wireless Access to PharmaNet
For assistance, contact the Ministry of Health Services Help Desk at Hlth.Helpdesk@gov.bc.ca.