Health Care Complaints

Last updated on July 26, 2021

Despite everyone's best efforts, there may be times when your experience navigating B.C.'s health-care system does not meet your expectations. If this happens, you can rest assured that there are people who are able to help find a solution to the problem.


Ministry Complaints or Concerns

The Patient and Client Relations team answers calls and emails from the public on behalf of the Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Mental Health and Addictions. The team can get answers to your concerns or connect you to the right location that will provide the answers you need.

Victoria: 250 952-1891
Toll Free within BC: 1 833 552-1891

Concerns about Philips Respironics recall notification

On June 14, 2021, Philips Respironics issued an urgent medical device recall on several models of the Respironics line of ventilators, continuous positive airway pressure therapy (CPCA), and bi-level positive airway pressure (Bi-Level PAP) devices.

Complaints About the Quality of Health Care Services

If you have a concern about the quality of care that you or a loved one is receiving, it is best to raise this concern at the time and place care is being provided. However, if this does not address your concern, or you would like to make a formal care quality complaint, you are encouraged to contact the Patient Care Quality Office in your health region.

Complaints About Extra Billing

Changes to the Medicare Protection Act provide clarity on extra billing. If you are concerned you may have been inappropriately charged for an MSP insured service, visit the section below to find out how to request a review.

Complaints About Assisted Living Residences

Assisted Living Registry staff investigate complaints related to the health and safety of persons living in assisted living residences. Anyone with a concern about the health or safety of an assisted living resident can make a complaint to the registry, including a resident, a family member, a friend of a resident, residence staff, or a member of the public.

Complaints About Residential Care Facilities

If you have a concern about the health, safety or well-being of a person in a licensed residential care facility, make a complaint immediately. There is no time limit in which to make a complaint but waiting too long before making a complaint may affect the process, as relevant documents or witnesses may become unavailable and affect the investigation and resolution of the complaint.

Complaints About Ministry of Health Vendors

The ministry is committed to fair, open and competitive procurement of goods and services. The vendor complaint review process is an integral part of this commitment.

If you have a concern about a contract competition or award, review the section below.

Complaints About Drinking Water Quality

Many concerns about drinking water relate to a particular drinking water system, incident, event or situation in a community. Most fall under the jurisdiction of the regional health authorities, and are best addressed by their staff.

Complaints About Emergency Medical Assistants

The Emergency Health Services Act empowers the Emergency Medical Assistants Licensing Board to investigate complaints regarding emergency medical assistant practice in British Columbia.