Local government requisition and taxation

Municipal and rural taxation is the main source of revenue for municipalities and regional districts in B.C.

Regional district requisitions

Regional districts cannot directly tax properties. Instead, regional districts requisition their member municipalities and the Provincial Surveyor of Taxes (for rural electoral areas) to tax on behalf of the regional district in order to meet annual revenue needs.

Local government taxation

Property taxation is the main source of revenue for most local governments. Property taxation includes property value taxes (also called ad valorem taxes), parcel taxes, and local area service taxes.

Local government tax exemptions

Local government grants in lieu of taxes

A grant‐in‐lieu of taxes is similar to a property value tax and is collected from property owned by or vested in the provincial and federal governments and their associated agencies and Crown corporations that are exempt from property taxation under the Constitution Act.

Arrears or delinquent taxes due to local governments

Taxes in arrears are outstanding property taxes plus applicable penalties and interest, that are unpaid on December 31 in the year they were imposed. Delinquent taxes are any taxes in arrears remaining unpaid on December 31 in the year following the year in which they became taxes in arrears.

Municipal property tax sale

A tax sale is a public auction of properties within a municipality which have unpaid property taxes from two years prior to the current year.

Interest on tax overpayment to municipalities

Individuals that have overpaid their property taxes or successfully appealed their property assessment may be eligible for a tax overpayment refund with interest.

Write-Off of local government taxes & other financial assets

When taxes, rents, or lease payments are no longer collectible, a municipal council or regional district board may have further powers over the management and disposal of assets, including the authority to write-off outstanding amounts owed to local government.

This authority may only be granted in very specific cases.