Local Government Parkland Acquisition Fees
In addition to revenue from other charges and property taxation, local governments can finance parkland acquisition using: development cost charges; contribution, or dedication, of parkland; and cash-in-lieu upon subdivision.
Funds from development cost charges and cash-in-lieu must be deposited to reserve funds for the purpose of acquisition of parkland.
Any local government currently charging parkland development cost charges or using the five percent dedication/cash-in-lieu provsions should consider the following:
- Avoiding double-charging
- Land versus cash-in-lieu
- Basis for the five percent calculation
- Selecting parkland within a subdivision
- Determining the cash-in-lieu value
- Park frontage costs
- Consideration for parkland needs
- Considerations for non-residential parkland requirements
Learn more about parkland acquisition best practices and development finance best practices: