Social Services Sector Roundtable
This Roundtable provides a forum for senior government officials and community social service agencies. It was formed in May 2019. They collaboratively address issues and work to ensure coordinated social services delivery.
- Ministry of Children and Family Development
- Ministry of Mental Health and Addictions
- Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing
- Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General
- Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction
- Community Living BC
- Public Sector Employers’ Council Secretariat
Social Service Sector
- BC Association of Aboriginal Friendship Centres
- BC CEO Network
- BC Government and Services Employees’ Union
- Board Voice Society
- Canadian Union of Public Employees
- Community Social Services Employers Association
- Ending Violence Association of B.C.
- Federation of Community Social Services
- Provincial Association of Residential and Community Agencies (PARCA)
It’s chaired by the Minister of Social Development and Poverty Reduction. It’s for senior government officials and community social services sector representatives to:
- Maintain good relations through on-going communications
- Discuss matters of importance within the sector
- Address issues in a coordinated and collaborative way
Meetings occur at regular intervals throughout the year. They occurred weekly from mid-March to early June during phase 1 of the COVID-19 pandemic.
On Nov. 15, 2019, in Richmond, the Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction hosted the “Together for Social Change” forum. It included over 130 participants from community-based agencies, advocates and government.
The Forum Report (PDF, 3.3MB) captured the discussions at the event.
The Social Services Sector Reference Group was also established. It’s an informal coalition of associations. To support the Roundtable, they work together to ensure:
- Broad sector participation
- Effective communication with their members in support of the Roundtable
Goals for 2020/21
The Province has moved into the recovery phase of the COVID-19 pandemic. The Roundtable continues to support recovery efforts with social services sector stakeholders. As well, it focusses on the workplan established before the pandemic. Key areas of focus over the next year include:
- Contracting and procurement practices review
- Led by the Ministry of Children and Family Development
- Developing a Sector Human Resources Strategy, including a compensation plan
- Led by the Public Sector Employers Council Secretariat
- New initiatives to support occupational health and safety and training across the sector
- Other approaches to address recruitment and retention challenges faced by the sector