Leaving Disability Assistance

You may continue to get medical services and health supplements after you leave assistance.

These may include:

  • Medical supplies
  • Medical equipment and devices
  • Dental services
  • Optical (basic eyewear and repairs)
  • Eye examinations (if not already covered by MSP)
  • Infant formula supplement
  • Extended medical therapies
  • Medical transportation
  • Premium-free Medical Services Plan (MSP) coverage
  • No deductible PharmaCare coverage
  • Tube feed supplement

You may also continue to receive transportation support as a bus pass or as a $52 monthly payment for a certain time period.


You may continue to get transportation and health benefits if you leave disability assistance. This applies when you leave assistance because your income is more than assistance rates for the following reasons:

  • You (or your spouse) turned 65 and began to receive federal income support. This includes Old Age Security (OAS) and the Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS)
  • You are under age 65 and receive Canada Pension Plan (CPP) benefits
  • You earned employment income
  • You earned family maintenance income
  • You are in the agreements with young adults program
  • You are receiving crime victim assistance
  • Your family unit is no longer eligible for disability assistance for other reasons. This could be because you received non-exempt income or assets over your eligible limit

If you leave disability assistance because you earned more than your Annual Earnings Exemption, you should continue to submit a Monthly Report form each month. This allows us to reassess your eligibility for assistance without you having to reapply.

You may also be eligible for health benefits if you are a person with persistent multiple barriers or living in a special care facility and leave assistance because:

You will have to meet the applicable income test for your family unit.

If you have a life-threatening health need, but have no resources and are not eligible, contact us for help.