Spinach Salad with Orange Sesame Dressing
This salad is a nice change from lettuce and tomato. If you are saving a portion for the next day, save the dressing separately.
Preparation and cooking time: 20-30 minutes
Per serving: Calories: 82, Protein: 2 g, Fat: 5 g, Carbohydrate: 7 g, Fibre: 2 g, Sodium: 36 mg, Calcium: 62 mg.
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped fresh spinach
- 1 orange
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped red or green onion
- Wash and dry spinach. Tear or chop it into bite-sized pieces and place in a serving bowl.
- Finely grate a small amount of peel from the orange and put it in a small jar or cup.
- Peel the orange, slice it into bite-sized pieces and add it to the spinach. Add chopped onion.
- Make the dressing by adding all remaining ingredients to the orange rind in jar or cup. Shake or whisk together.
- When ready to serve, pour dressing on top of the spinach and orange slices and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Thanks to Trudi Stevenson of Courtenay, B.C.
In strawberry season, use 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries instead of the orange and do not use the orange rind. Substitute 1 tbsp red wine vinegar for the orange juice and 1 tsp poppy seeds for the sesame seeds.
- 1½ tsp (7 mL) olive oil or canola oil
- ½ tsp (2 mL) sesame oil (optional)
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) honey or sugar
- 1 pinch powdered ginger
- 1 pinch pepper
- ½ tsp (2 mL) orange rind
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) orange juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) sesame seeds, toasted