Quesadillas are a warm, tasty way to use up leftover cooked vegetables and small amounts of cooked meat. For a complete meal, serve with a piece of fresh fruit and a glass of milk.
Preparation and cooking time: 25 minutes.
Per serving: Calories: 252, Protein: 12 g, Fat: 7 g, Carbohydrate: 33 g, Fibre: 3.4 g, Sodium: 308 mg, Calcium: 236 mg.
- 1 whole wheat soft tortilla (7 inch or 18 cm)
- ¼ cup (60 mL) shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
- ¾ cup (175 mL) cooked vegetables (use leftovers if you have them)
- Cooked meat (optional)
- Sliced olives or sun dried tomatoes (optional)
- Chop vegetables and grate cheese before you start to cook.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
- Place tortilla on heated pan.
- Quickly place cut up vegetables on top of tortilla and cover with grated cheese.
- Lift up half the tortilla and fold over the other half, enclosing the vegetables and cheese, and lightly press on top to hold together.
- Cook until the tortilla is lightly browned and crispy.
- Flip over and cook the other side.
- Cut in half and serve with a small amount of salsa.
Thanks to Georgina Lawlor of Penticton, B.C.
Asparagus, broccoli, yams, red peppers, carrots, mushrooms and/or onions.