Slaughter & Poultry Processing
Slaughter and poultry industry operations are required to comply with the Code of Practice for the Slaughter and Poultry Processing Industries (Slaughter Code), the Environmental Management Act and the Waste Discharge Regulation.
The Slaughter Code regulates discharges to the environment from slaughter and poultry processing industries. It addresses air quality management, discharge of wastewater, and the management of waste solids and semi-solids — as well as registration, monitoring and record keeping.
Code of Practice
The Slaughter Code was brought into force in July 2007, and amended in 2010:
- Code of Practice for the Slaughter and Poultry Processing Industries
- Registration Form (PDF) (see fact sheets below for further guidance)
- Notification Form for Land Application of Composted Product (PDF)
The following may assist with understanding the requirements of the Slaughter Code of Practice:
- Technical Guideline for the Slaughter and Poultry Processing Industries (PDF)
- Fact Sheet 1 - Liquid Waste (PDF)
- Fact Sheet 2 - Landfilling Solid and Semi-solid Wastes (PDF)
- Fact Sheet 3 - Incineration of Solid and Semi-solid Wastes (PDF)
- Fact Sheet 4 – Composting Solid and Semi-solid Wastes (PDF)