Volunteer Lake Monitoring
- To inspire, promote and support engaged volunteer watershed stewardship across the Province.
- To build and maintain a volunteer lake monitoring program that shares knowledge to better understand, protect and sustain our aquatic resources.
- To develop, promote and support partnerships with volunteers, local stewardship groups and BCLSS to provide a coordinated approach to volunteer monitoring.
- To establish and maintain a baseline of data from lakes to facilitate long term lake management.
- To educate volunteers, lake residents and lake users on lake health, best management practices for watershed protection and the control and prevention of invasive species.
- To facilitate regular reporting of volunteer collected data to inform lake residents and users, as well as the public.
Levels of Monitoring within the Program
Within the Volunteer Lake Monitoring Program there are multiple levels of study that can be done on lakes. The level of study chosen for a lake is based on the volunteer commitment and the concerns for the lake itself. The diagram below illustrates the different levels of volunteer study.
Click on the above graphic to see larger version.