Apply for a B.C. teaching certificate from another province or country

Last updated on February 7, 2024

On this page

Applying from another province

If you hold a current, valid, unrestricted teaching certificate from another Canadian province or territory (including an interim certificate from Alberta, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, or the Northwest Territories), you may qualify for a Certificate of Qualification under the Canadian Free Trade Agreement (CFTA) without having to complete any further coursework. We will evaluate your application and submitted documents after you apply for a teaching certificate.

Applying from another country

If you hold teaching credentials from another country, submit an application form and all required documents so that we can evaluate them. We cannot advise if you are eligible for a certificate until we complete the evaluation. 


If you are moving to B.C. to teach, you should apply for teacher certification in B.C. before you leave your home jurisdiction to allow time for your required documents to be submitted and for us to process your application.