Recognized Coach Programs
In alignment with the introduction of draft curriculum for Grades 10-12, the External Credentials Program is under review; at this time, no new external credentials will be considered until the review is complete.
In the meantime, the program is still active and all existing external credentials are available to students.
There are two different credentials in the coach program specialty that are authorized for graduation credit – Coach 11 and 12.
Coach 11 (UXSC 11) – 2 credits
To receive credit for Coach 11, students must complete the following requirements:
1. One of the following National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP) courses:
- NCCP Community Sport Initiation or Competition Introduction or Instructor Beginner, where ‘trained’ status is granted
- NCCP Competition Introduction Multi-Sport Modules: Make Ethical Decisions, Planning a Practice, Design a Basic Sport Program, Teaching and Learning
- NCCP Run Jump Throw Certification Course
2. NCCP Making Ethical Decisions online evaluation complete (through the Locker)
3. Coaching experience (30 hours) monitored and reviewed by a certified coach (either an Introduction to Competition "certified" or NCCP Level 2 "certified" coach) in the sport a student is being evaluated in.
Richmond Oval Sport Leadership Program, which includes completion of:
- NCCP Fundamental Movement Skills certification;
- NCCP Making Ethical Decisions "evaluated";
- 35 volunteer hours within Oval Sport Camps providing leadership and coaching
- Oval Sport Camp training including child care, coaching strategies, leadership styles, Long Term Athlete Development
Student coaches seeking to earn credit under the Coach 11 category must provide proof of completion for all required program components to the Sport Branch, Ministry of Community, Sport and Cultural Development.
Required documentation includes:
- NCCP certifications
- Practical coach experience verification letter
- Making Ethical Decisions "Evaluated" module
A verification letter will be sent directly to a student if they have fulfilled all the requirements.
Richmond Oval Sport Leadership Program Documentation
The Richmond Oval Sport Leadership Program Coordinator will submit the list of students who successfully complete the program to the Sport Branch who will issue a verification letter directly to each student. To get credit for the course, students must deliver the verification letter to their high school counsellor.
Making Ethical Decisions "Evaluated"
Student coaches can complete the ‘Evaluation’ portion of the Making Ethical Decisions module online with the Coaches Association of Canada (CAC). To complete this step, student coaches must have a National Certified Coaching Program (NCCP) number as well as a login username and password (these can be requested from the CAC). Completion documentation for this module will also appear on the student's CAC online transcript.
Practical coaching experience must be in the same sport as the trained or certified accreditations.
Student coaches should keep a log of their coaching hours that includes:
- Practical coaching hours
- Teams or athletes coached
- Competition level of participation (e.g. club, regional, provincial)
Practical coaching experience needs to be monitored and reviewed by a certified coach (an Introduction to Competition "trained" or NCCP Level 2 "certified" coach) in the sport the student is being evaluated in. The evaluating coach must provide the student coach with a verification letter that includes:
- Student name
- Number of practical coaching hours
- Team or athletes coached
- Competition level of participation
- Authorizing coach name and NCCP CC number
- Date of completion
Coach 12 (UXSC 12) – 4 credits
Student coaches seeking to earn credit under the Coach 12 category must have participated in a pre-approved provincial sport organization coach education program. The following table indicates the sports that have been approved for Coach 12 credits:
|Athletics (BC Athletics)||All of the following must be completed:
|Lacrosse (BC Lacrosse Association)||Coach Mentor/Apprentice Program|
|Sailing (BC Sailing)||LTS Level 2 Coaching Course|
|Gymnastics||NCCP Level 2 Artistic Gymnastics Trained Plus
NCCP Level 2 Trampoline Gymnastics Trained Plus
For Coach 12, a provincial sport organization must submit their association’s NCCP coach education program to the Ministry of Community, Sport and Cultural Development for review and approval. Program requirements include a minimum of 100 course hours composed of:
- Instruction in the NCCP multi-sport modules and the sport technical component of the sport
- Evaluation of student coaches in their knowledge of developing practice sessions and demonstrations of sport specific instruction
- Practical coaching experience: Students are required to submit a verification letter of practical coaching experience to their provincial sport organization. A certified coach (Introduction to Competition "trained" or NCCP Level 2 "certified" coach) from the same sport must provide the verification letter of practical coaching hours.
Provincial sport organizations will monitor, evaluate and verify each student coach has completed all the Coach 12 components and submit their proof of completion to the Sport Branch of the Ministry of Community, Sport and Cultural Development who will then issue a verification letter directly to the student.
Please contact your provincial sport organization for more information on Coach 12 program requirements.