What to expect during the 2021/22 school year
Last updated: September 17, 2021
On this page
Download a copy
Get an overview of this information to see what's changing: Information sheet (PDF, 2MB).
Here's an overview of what to expect over the next year as the new online learning model is gradually introduced.
Students can continue to enrol in online learning programs just like they normally would in previous years. See how to sign up for online learning.
- Kindergarten to Grade 7 students can enrol in full programs inside or outside their district, or with an independent school
- Grades 8 to 12 students can enrol in a full program inside or outside their district
- Grades 8 to 12 students can cross-enrol and enrol outside of their district with a public or independent school
During the year, some parts of the new online learning model will be implemented.
- A new policy is being developed. B.C.’s education stakeholders and rightsholders as well as teachers and parents are all involved
- A new online course platform. A provincial online course platform (called a learning management system or LMS) will be available to all schools in B.C.
- Access to courses and resources. Teachers will be able to access and share high-quality online learning resources and courses
- A new name. The term "distributed learning" changed to "online learning" on July 1, 2021
Policies, processes and other details for the new online learning model are under development with B.C.’s education stakeholders and rightsholders, including teachers and parents. Support will be offered to help students transition to new courses or programs. More information will be made available throughout this school year as soon as it’s available.
In the meantime, you can:
- Continue checking this website for updates
- Stay in touch with your program coordinator or administrator and your local Parent Advisory Council
- Download an overview of the changes: Information sheet (PDF, 2MB)
- Email our team any thoughts: EDUC.OLFeedback@gov.bc.ca
In the 2022/23 school year, the new online learning model will be implemented:
- New provincial online learning schools will launch and be able to offer quality programming across B.C.
- A new quality assurance process will help online learning schools share best practices