Financial Health Working Group
Financial Governance and Accountability
With recent auditor reviews and special advisor reports recommending strengthening the financial accountability framework of school districts, the Ministry of Education has developed guidance materials in partnership with the Financial Health Working Group. This Group includes membership from the Ministry, BC School Trustees Association (BCSTA), BC School Superintendents Association (BCSSA), BC Association of School Business Officials (BCASBO), Office of the Auditor General, and Office of the Comptroller General of BC.
Together, we are building on an already solid base of financial accountability practices exhibited by the K-12 Public Education Sector. This work supports leadership development in the sector, and the Framework for Enhancing Student Learning.
These financial governance and accountability documents support boards of education in the work they do as governors of our education sector.
Reference and Resources
- Letter of Support from BCSTA, BCSSA, and BCASBO (April 2017) (PDF)
- Introductory Letter from the Deputy Minister and Ministry of Education expectations of Boards of Education regarding financial governance and accountability (PDF)
- Toolkit: Financial Health & Other Questions (PDF)
- Toolkit: Accumulated Operating Surplus (PDF)
- Appendix 1 – Taxpayer Accountability Principles (PDF)
- Toolkit: Audit Committees (PDF)