Kootenay Lake Ferry Service Improvements - Balfour Terminal
Construction on terminal improvements to the Balfour Terminal (north shore) will begin in spring 2021, with completion expected by the end of 2021. Marwest Industries Ltd. of Castlegar, B.C., was awarded the contract for upgrades to Kootenay Lake Ferry terminals.
Artist's rendering of improvements to the Balfour Terminal area
Ferry users boarding at Balfour will soon be able to enjoy the following improvements:
- New transit shelter near the entry to the terminal with a dedicated bus slip-lane
- New public washroom facility
- Improvements to lighting and sidewalks connecting the terminal entry, transit stop, and off‐site parking area
- Additional sheltered waiting area adjacent to the boarding ramp for walk‐on users
- Increased vehicle queuing capacity
- New terminal attendant station to provide ferry users with timely information and direction
- Expanded greenspace, including additional shade
- Better public access from the terminal greenspace to the waterfront
- Expanded infrastructure to enable addition of more electric vehicle charging stations when needed
- Overflow parking capacity
- Improvements to Highway 31/3A and realignment of the Upper Balfour Road and Busk Road intersection
Thanks to feedback received in the 2018 public consultation, the Province will safely reroute Upper Balfour Road as part of the project, instead of closing it.