Highway 16 and 37 Intersection
The Highway 16 and 37 Intersection between the communities of Terrace and Thornhill currently operates as a four way stop intersection. An upgrade of this intersection is needed to support the increasing traffic volumes being seen along these corridors.
The project team has reviewed two options: a roundabout and a conventional intersection. Following a thorough examination of the two, a roundabout is the preferred option.
Details of the project include:
- Design and construction of a roundabout capable of accommodating the growing traffic needs of the Highway 16 and 37 corridors
$9.3 million ($1.7 million Federal funding; $7.6 million Provincial funding)
Design complete. Construction anticipated summer 2019.
- Improved highway safety: Roudabouts have 90% fewer vehicle fatalities, 76% fewer vehicle related injuries, and 35% fewer accidents
- Reduced congestion and delays for all users of Highways 16 and 37
- Improved safety for pedestrians and cyclists
- Reduction in greenhouse gas emissions
- Lower maintenance costs
- Construction is underway
- Scheduled completion, Fall 2019
Public Consultation & Design
An information session was conducted in October, 2017.