Highway 7 - Haney Bypass Intersection Improvements Project
The Haney Bypass project will improve traffic flow along the Highway 7 corridor. It will reduce collisions and improve pedestrian safety and multi-modal connectivity.
The Haney Bypass directs traffic away from the urban section of the City of Maple Ridge. There are significant delays during the morning and afternoon peak periods. Queue lengths are close to 0.5 km at the east intersection with Kanaka Way and at the west intersection with 222nd Street. Collision rates are two to three times the provincial average throughout the corridor.
Improvements are being made at the most critical areas of congestion, including:
- reconfiguration of the intersection of Highway 7 and 222nd
- reconfiguration of the intersection of Highway 7 and Kanaka Way
- reconfiguration of the intersection of Haney Bypass and 225th Street
- signalization at Callaghan Road
The Province of B.C. and the Government of Canada have committed $22.3 million to this project.
View the Haney Bypass Laning and Geometric Drawings (PDF)
This project benefits include:
222nd and Highway 7:
- A second left turn lane to access Highway 7 in the northbound direction to improve capacity and reduce travel time
- A 3 m multi-use path on the north side of Lougheed Highway from 220 - 222nd
- A signal to provide a safe pedestrian crossing and better access to Callaghan Avenue including the West Coast Express Station
- New sidewalks to connect the West Coast Express Station, pedestrian underpass and surrounding community
- Restrict left turn to access the bypass, improving safety.
Kanaka Way and Highway 7:
- A second left turn lane onto the Haney Bypass in the westbound direction to improve capacity and reduce travel time
- Extension of the through and left turns lanes exiting the Haney Bypass will allow right turning traffic to bypass the queues and flow more efficiently
- New sidewalk along the northwest side of the Haney Bypass
Construction is underway and expected to finish in Summer 2020.
Community engagement was held January 1 to February 28, 2018