Youth Agreements

A Youth Agreement is a legal agreement made between you and the Ministry of Children and Family Development (MCFD) in cases of extreme need. A thorough assessment of your circumstances will be completed by your local MCFD office, and when appropriate, we will work with your family to address your needs.

Depending on what you need to live on your own, you may get help with:

  • Finding a place to live
  • Learning life skills like grocery shopping, preparing healthy meals, paying bills and communicating with landlords
  • Coping with alcohol or drug problems
  • Managing mental health issues
  • Managing your money
  • Getting an education

Qualifying for a Youth Agreement

You may qualify for a Youth Agreement if:

  • You’re 16 to 18 years old
  • You’re in need of assistance and may be in need of protection. This will be thoroughly assessed by an MCFD worker once they have spoken with you.

If you have any questions about your circumstances, and to see if you are eligible to be considered for a Youth Agreement, please contact our Provincial Centralized Screening office at: 1-800-663-9122 or 604-660-4927 (Lower Mainland & outside BC).

Agreements with Young Adults

If you’ve been in foster care or had a Youth Agreement, you may qualify for an Agreement with a Young Adult (AYA). It can help cover the cost of things like housing, child care, tuition and health care while you go back to school, or attend a rehabilitation program.