Court procedures and processes - who can help?

Last updated on June 8, 2021

Court registry staff can provide information about court procedures and processes. They cannot give you advice about your legal problem or help you complete your forms. Legal advice must come from a lawyer or legal professional.

If you need help with a civil or family law problem in B.C., including small claims, divorce or child custody, there are a number of free resources available to assist you.

The public can access information in person at three Justice Access Centres:

There are also a number of online resources:


Plain language legal information and options for legal help, including:

  • links to family law resources from dozens of trusted organizations
  • practical information about your legal rights and responsibilities and options for solving legal problems
  • a HelpMap to search for legal help in your community

Justice Education Society  

Information, education and self-help resources on civil and family law in B.C., including:

  • guides, videos and information on a range of topics including representing yourself in Supreme Court civil matters, Small Claims Court, Administrative Tribunals and the Court of Appeal

Legal Services Society

  • information, education and self-help resources on family law in British Columbia
  • plain language information and multimedia resources on divorce, custody/guardianship, child/spousal support and more
  • up-to-date self-help guides for court processes, including links to forms
  • links to information about who can help, including where to apply for legal aid

Provincial Court of British Columbia

Your local public library

Public libraries offer a range of materials on civil and family law in British Columbia

  • access to plain language legal information
  • free public access to computers
  • available in 243 communities across the province