Overview of coal in BC
Coal mining is a major industry in British Columbia. Coal production employs thousands of people and coal sales generate billions of dollars in annual revenue. Coal production currently represents over half of the total mineral production revenues in the province.
Between 80 to 90 per cent of coal produced in British Columbia is metallurgical coal, which is used in the production of steel from iron ore. The province also produces some thermal coal. Most BC coal is exported internationally via coal ports on the west coast near Vancouver and Prince Rupert. A smaller percentage is sent by rail to steel mills in eastern Canada.
- British Columbia coal industry overview 2020 (Information Circular 2021-02)
- Table of British Columbia coal resources, 2020 (GeoFile 2020-09)
- Evaluation of coal ash chemistry indices for predicting CSR (coke strength after reaction with CO2) for coking coals of the Rocky Mountains, British Columbia (GeoFile 2020-06)
- Ash chemistry database for British Columbia Rocky Mountain bituminous coals (GeoFile 2017-10)
- East Kootenay coalfields (poster, Information Circular 2018-06)
- Peace River coalfield (poster, Information Circular 2018-07)
- Groundhog coalfield (poster, Information Circular 2016-05)
Links to other coal-related resources
General references on coal in BC
- Gardner, S.L., 1995. Coal Resources and Coal Mining on Vancouver Island. British Columbia Ministry of Employment and Investment, British Columbia Geological Survey, Open File 1997-19.
- Grieve, D., 1985. Coalfields of the East Kootenay Region, Southwestern British Columbia. Canadian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, Special Volume 31, Coal in Canada, pages 203-211.
- Martonhegyi, F., 1985. Intermontane Coal Basins in the Western Cordillera. Canadian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, Special Volume 31, Coal in Canada, pages 269-277.
- Pearson, D.E., 1980. The Quality of Western Canadian Coking Coals. Canadian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, Bulletin v. 73.
- Price, J.T. and Gransden, J.F., 1987. Metallurgical Coals in Canada: Resources, Research and Utilization. Energy Mines and Resources Canada, CANMET Report 87-2E.