CleanBC Building Innovation Fund
The CleanBC Building Innovation Fund (CBBIF) provides funding for projects that accelerate the availability and affordability of low-carbon building solutions including advanced building components and designs, new construction methods, low-carbon HVAC systems, and digital technology solutions.
By supporting innovation in the B.C. building sector, the CBBIF will increase the capacity of B.C.-based industries and generate consumer confidence in high-performance buildings, at the same time helping to lower the costs of new technologies and building approaches over time.
Funding will also help businesses impacted by COVID-19 keep their operations going, maintain jobs and offset revenue loss. At the same time, the CBBIF program will help maintain and increase jobs in the future as new energy efficient and low-carbon product lines and sales opportunities are developed.
The CBBIF has allocated $8 million for fiscal year 2020/2021. The application intake will begin on November 12 2020, and close on January 10, 2021. Applicants that submit their full application before December 15 will have the opportunity to receive feedback and revise their application prior to the final deadline.
The CBBIF provides funding to promote building sector innovation in four separate streams:
1. Material, Component and System Manufacturing
- Funding to support investment in manufacturing facilities to diversify and expand existing product lines or commercialize new low-carbon product lines.
2. Digital Technology Solutions
- Funding for low-carbon technology development for new or improved digital solutions.
3. Demonstration Projects
- Up to $250,000
- Funding to help offset the incremental capital or operational costs of low-carbon demonstration projects relative to industry standards. Demonstration projects are those that involve the construction or renovation of a discrete building and the demonstration of innovative technologies/materials within that building.
4. Open Call for Innovations
- $250,000 - $500,000
- An open call for other types of low-carbon projects not covered by other funding streams, including but not limited to development, testing and certification. Preference will be given to projects that include innovative applications for currently commercialized technologies or lead to near-term commercialization of technology and/or new building products/materials.
To be eligible, a project must advance innovation in building designs, construction practices, systems, materials, products, or technologies that currently have a technology readiness level (TRL) of 6 or higher and:
- are energy efficient;
- reduce carbon emissions from building operations; and/or
- have low embodied carbon (for example, employ mass timber).
For more information, please see the following documents:
- CleanBC Building Innovation Fund - Program Guide
- CleanBC Building Innovation Application
- Template of Shared Cost Arrangement (applicants should be prepared to enter into the arrangement with no changes to these standard terms and conditions).
The Ministry will be hosting several webinars for potential applicants of the CBBIF. To be notified of upcoming webinars, please email firstname.lastname@example.org