Tall wood initiative
The National Building Code 2020 proposes provisions for the construction of encapsulated mass timber buildings up to 12 storeys in height.
All local governments were invited to express their interest in adopting these provisions two to three years before the rest of the Province.
Province-wide application is anticipated in 2022.
The following jurisdictions confirmed their interest in participating in the initiative and are included in a jurisdiction-specific regulation which became effective December 12, 2019:
- City of Abbotsford
- City of Campbell River
- City of Colwood
- City of Kelowna
- City of Langford
- Township of Langley
- District of Mission
- City of North Vancouver
- City of Richmond
- District of Saanich
- City of Surrey
- City of Victoria
- The University of British Columbia
- University Endowment Lands
- City of Port Moody
- City of Coquitlam
- District of West Vancouver
- District of North Vancouver
- City of Delta
- City of Prince George
- City of New Westminster
Participating local governments will continue to administer specific permits and inspections at their discretion.
- Political support: A council or board resolution supporting participation in the initiative
- Organizational alignment: Agreement by the Fire, Building, Planning Departments and commitment by the Chief Administrative Officer to participate in the initiative
- Organizational capacity: Involvement of a building official with a Level 3 certification from the Building Officials’ Association of B.C. who is either a staff member or contracted for the purposes of this initiative
- Land use bylaws: The community’s zoning bylaw or official community plan supports buildings greater than six storeys in height
- Local government feedback: Availability for local government staff to participate in provincial working groups or provide feedback and other information on their encapsulated mass timber construction projects to the Building and Safety Standards Branch
Local jurisdictions that would like to be included in a future intake should contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Summary of mass timber provisions
- Learn more about the Provisions for Encapsulated Mass Timber Construction (PDF)
Page last updated: September 15, 2021.