In addition to the provincial Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act (PCA Act) having among the toughest penalties in Canada, the B.C. government also supports animal welfare with contributions through government activities and programs.
B.C. Government supports animal welfare by:
- Facilitating education sessions to increase knowledge of the animal welfare challenges facing the agriculture industry
- Building awareness of production practices that support animal welfare
- Supporting scientific investigations to identify and address potential gaps
- Monitoring issues and developing appropriate solutions to ensure an effective government framework for animal welfare
- Inspecting dairy farms to ensure regulatory compliance regarding the provision of suitable animal housing, cleanliness, and clean water
- Providing animal necropsy services and livestock training support to the BC Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (BC SPCA) to enhance their enforcement actions
- Participating in the Animal Welfare program of the Canadian Agricultural Partnership (CAP) which provides funding for animal welfare projects.
Protecting Farm Animal Welfare in British Columbia - Frequently Asked Questions
Sled Dog Protection in British Columbia
Dog and Cat Breeding Consultations
Summary of stakeholder consultations regarding input to potential legislation that will assist the BC SPCA to monitor and take action against irresponsible breeders of dogs and cats.