It's important your building or renovation projects meets local zoning requirements. Local governments use zoning bylaws to regulate how a property can be used.
- How big a lot can be
- What you can build on a property (i.e. building type and size)
- Where you can build on a property
- How buildings can be used
- Any parking requirements that must be followed
For any building or renovation project, ask your local government's building department these questions:
- What’s the current zoning on my land?
- Is my proposed building or renovation project permitted?
- What are the details of the current or proposed zone I want to build within?
Change zoning requirements: There are two ways to change the zoning in a specific area:
- Apply for a variance
- Apply for rezoning
Check with your local government about their requirements for each process.