Special Authority Criteria - Pioglitazone
|Pioglitazone||15 mg, 30 mg, 45 mg||tablet|
Special Authority Criteria
To be administered as part of a combination treatment for type 2 diabetes mellitus:
- PharmaCare coverage for pioglitazone is intended for combination treatment of type 2 diabetes (e.g., not as monotherapy).
- Based on evidence of long-term benefit and enhanced cost-effectiveness, patients should be tried on metformin, sulfonylureas, and insulin NPH (tried if applicable) before considering other agents.
- Patients intolerant to a sulfonylurea may be considered for coverage. Patients intolerant to glyburide may try another sulfonylurea (e.g., gliclazide, which is available through the PharmaCare Special Authority program).
- Patients who meet the Limited Coverage criteria for pioglitazone automatically receive coverage for linagliptin and saxagliptin.
- Clinical judgment is warranted to assess the increased risk of adverse outcomes in patients with concurrent cardiovascular conditions, including heart failure.