Adult Day Services
Adult day services assist seniors and adults with disabilities to continue to live in their own homes by providing supportive group programs and activities in the community.
Clients receiving adult day services travel to a location in their community usually 1-2 days per week where they may receive a variety of services, including:
- personal assistance;
- health care services including nursing and/or rehabilitation services;
- an organized program of therapeutic social and recreational activities in a protective group setting;
- health education and promotion, nutrition and bathing programs, blood pressure and podiatry clinics, telephone checking, and counselling; and
- caregiver support, including respite, activities such as caregiver support groups, information and education programs.
In some cases transportation is provided, in others clients are responsible. Many adult day service programs are connected with residential care facilities, while others operate independently.
Is this care right for me?
Adult day services are suitable if you have been assessed as requiring supports and health care services, and/or respite for your caregiver, through a clinical assessment conducted by a health care professional from your regional health authority.
Some programs also accept private pay clients.
What are the adult day service eligibility criteria?
In addition to meeting the general eligibility criteria for home and community care services, to be eligible for adult day services you must:
- be unable to function independently because of chronic, health-related problems;
- have been assessed as requiring adult day services as part of your care plan; and
- have agreed to pay the daily rate.
The number of days you can attend this program is based upon your personal needs and services availability. You can attend an adult day program and receive other services such as home support at the same time.
To read the general eligibility criteria for all home and community care services, go to:
How do I arrange for adult day services?
If you are interested in receiving adult day services or know of someone who might be in need of these services, you can contact the home and community care office of your health authority or you can have a health care profession make a referral on your behalf.
For contact information and a detailed description of how to arrange for adult day services, please see:
Is there a cost for adult day services?
Health authorities may charge a nominal daily rate to clients to assist with the cost of craft supplies, transportation (if provided) and meals.
The rate charged for supplies, transportation and meals cannot exceed $10.00 per day but may be waived if serious financial hardship would mean that you are not able to access the services.
General Information About Costs
If you would like some general information about the costs of publicly subsidized home and community care services, including the regulations that govern fees, please read: