Resources to Learn More
Fall Prevention Resources
- Finding Balance B.C. - This website has information for seniors and health professionals, including videos, and information on Seniors’ Fall Prevention Awareness Week.
- Staying Independent (PDF, 1.4MB) - This fall risk assessment tool helps to assess a person’s risk for a fall.
- Seniors’ Falls Can Be Prevented (PDF, 264KB) - Has tips for seniors on avoiding falls at home and away from home. This brochure is also available in Chinese (PDF, 273KB), Punjabi (PDF, 1.5MB).
- What YOU Can Do To Prevent Falls (PDF, 572KB) - Outlines four things you can do to prevent falls - including regular exercise, having a medication review and vision check-up, and going through a home safety check list.
- Prevent Falls Stay in the Game! (PDF, 562KB) - Outlines how to be active, take your time, live safe and choose smart to reduce your chances of having a fall, to continue the activities you love, and to “stay in the game.”
- Stay on Your Feet (PDF, 1.4MB) - This booklet will help identify some causes of falls and suggest simple, practical changes and better choices you can make to remain active, independent and stay on your feet. Also available in: Chinese (PDF, 7.7MB), Farsi (PDF, 2.9MB), Punjabi (PDF, 2.1MB).
- Stay on Your Feet – Parkinson’s (PDF, 7.4MB) - Provides helpful advice to people with Parkinson’s, their families and caregivers.
- Maintain Your Independence (PDF, 924KB) - Outlines tips to prevent slips, trips and broken hips.
- Fall Prevention in Community Care (PDF, 160KB) - A guide to identify and reduce fall risk.
- Fall Prevention in Acute Care (PDF, 206KB) - A guide to preventing falls and related injuries while in hospital.
- Hip Protectors Work! (PDF, 452KB) - Outlines hip protectors and their use for reducing the risk of a hip fracture.
- Medications and the Risk of Falling (PDF, 63KB) - Provides examples of medications that can increase the risk of falling, or of serious outcomes if a fall occurs.
- Pre-Admission to Residential Care Fall Checklist (PDF, 293KB) - This pre-admission checklist can be used if you or a loved one are waiting to move to a residential care facility, and top 10 tips for reducing your risks of falling or being injured from a fall.
Research and Reports
Seniors’ Falls in Canada: Second Report
This 2014 report from the Public Health Agency of Canada provides policy makers, researchers, community programmers and practitioners with current national information to prevent falls among seniors. It offers an update of our knowledge of falls, injuries and hospitalizations among Canadian adults aged 65 and over, and provides a picture of changes over time.
Falls & Related Injuries among Older Canadians: Fall-related hospitalizations & prevention initiatives
Prepared for the Division of Aging and Seniors, Public Health Agency of Canada, this is an analysis of the 2008/2009 Canadian hospitalization data for fall-related injuries among persons aged 65 years and older. The analysis is followed by the results of a scan of fall prevention programs currently operating across Canada. The appendices to this document include a list of definitions of terms, the survey tool used in the scan of programs, and the Canadian Institute for Health Information epidemiological data.
- Falls & Related Injuries among Older Canadians: Fall-related hospitalizations & prevention initiatives (PDF, 4.6MB)
Healthy Aging Through Fall Prevention Among Older Aboriginal People: From Many Voices To A Shared Vision
Prepared in partnership with Centre for Aboriginal Health Research, the Centre of Excellence on Mobility, Fall Prevention and Injury in Aging, the B.C. Injury Research and Prevention Unit and the Ministry of Health, this report summarizes a ‘first of its kind’ symposium to guide future steps for improving the health of older Aboriginal people through the reduction of risk for falls and related injuries.
- Healthy Aging Through Fall Prevention Among Older Aboriginal People: From Many Voices To A Shared Vision
- BC Injury Research and Prevention Unit
- Centre for Hip Health and Mobility
- Vancouver Coastal Health Fall Prevention
- Fraser Health Fall Prevention
- Northern Health Fall Prevention
- Interior Health Fall Prevention
- Island Health Fall Prevention
- Simon Fraser University Injury Prevention and Mobility Laboratory
- BCIT’s Mobility Now You’re Going Places
- BCRPA Walking Program Resources