Publications – Sari Saunders
Listed in order of publication date.
- McNicol, G., C. Bulmer, D. D’Amore, P. Sanborn, S. Saunders, I. Giesbrecht, S. Gonzalez Arriola, A. Bidlack, D. Butman, and B. Buma. 2019. Large, climate-sensitive soil carbon stocks mapped with pedology-informed machine learning in the North Pacific coastal temperate rainforest. Environmental Research Letters 14: 014004.
- Campbell, L.B. N.C. Coops and S.C. Saunders. 2017. LiDAR as an advanced remote sensing technology to augment ecosystem classification and mapping. Journal of Ecosystems and Management 17(1):1-13.
- Giesbrecht, I.J.W., S.C. Saunders, A. MacKinnon and K.P. Lertzman. 2017. Overstory structure drives fine-scale coupling of understory light and vegetation in two temperate rainforest floodplains. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 47: 1244-1256.
- Buma, B. P.E. Hennon, C.A. Harrington, J.R. Popkin, J. Krapek, M. S. Lamb, L.E. Oakes, S. Saunders, and S. Zeglen. 2016. Emerging climate-driven disturbance processes: widespread mortality associated with snow-to-rain transitions across 10° of latitude and half the range of a climate-threatened conifer. Global Change Biology 23: 2903-2914.
- Sutherland, G.D., F.L. Waterhouse, J. Smith, S.C. Saunders, K. Paige, and J. Malt. 2016. Developing a Systematic Simulation-Based Approach for Selecting Indicators in Strategic Cumulative Effects Assessments with Multiple Environmental Valued Components. Ecological Indicators 61: 521-525.
- Thompson, S.D., T.A. Nelson, I. Giesbrecht, G. Frazer, and S.C. Saunders. 2016. Data-driven regionalization of forested and non-forested ecosystems in coastal British Columbia with LiDAR and RapidEye imagery. Applied Geography 69: 35-50.
- Klassen, H., S.C. Saunders, J.M. Kranabetter, A. MacKinnon, H. Griesbauer, and O. Fitzpatrick. 2015. Establishment of an interdisciplinary project to evaluate ecological implications of climate change in dry south coast forest ecosystems. Prov. B.C., Victoria, B.C. Tech. Rep. 086. www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfd/pubs/Docs/Tr/Tro86.htm.
- Banner, A., W.H. MacKenzie, J. Pojar, A. MacKinnon, S.C. Saunders, and H. Klassen. 2014. A field guide to ecosystem classification and identification for Haida Gwaii. Prov. B.C., Victoria, B.C. Land Manag. Handb. 68. www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfd/pubs/Docs/Lmh/Lmh68.htm.
- Alaback, P., G. Nowacki, and S.C. Saunders. 2013. Effects of Natural Disturbance and Logging on the Temperate Rainforests of Southeast Alaska and Adjacent British Columbia. Pp. 73-88. In G. Orians and J. Schoen (Eds.). Ecology and Conservation of North Pacific Rainforests. Seattle, WA: University of Washington Press.
- Kranabetter, J.M., S.C. Saunders, A. MacKinnon, H.A. Klassen, and D.L. Spittlehouse. 2013. An assessment of contemporary and historic nitrogen availability in contrasting coastal Douglas-fir forests through δ15N of tree rings. Ecosystems 16: 111-122.
- MacKinnon, A. and S.C. Saunders. 2012. Incorporating historical range of variation in ecosystem-based management of British Columbia’s coastal temperate rainforest. Pp. 166-175. In Wiens, J.A. et al. (Eds). Historical Environmental Variation in Conservation and Natural Resource Management: Past, Present, and Future. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Campbell, E.M., S.C. Saunders, K.D. Coates, D.V. Meidinger, A.J. MacKinnon, G.A. O’Neill, D.J. MacKillop, S.C. DeLong, and D. Morgan. 2009. Ecological resilience and complexity: a theoretical framework for understanding and managing British Columbia’s forest ecosystems in a changing climate. B.C. Min. For. Range, For. Sci. Prog., Victoria, B.C. Tech. Rep. 055. www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfd/pubs/Docs/Tr/Tr055.htm.
- Brosofske, K.D., D.T. Cleland, and S.C. Saunders. 2007. Factors influencing modern wildfire occurrence in the Mark Twain National Forest, Missouri. Southern Journal of Applied Forestry 31(2): 73-84.
- Saunders, S.C., K.P. Lertzman, and M.A. Fuchs. 2006. Bird assemblages associated with vine maple gaps in coastal western hemlock forests of southwestern British Columbia. Northwest Science 80: 165-176.