Publications – Mario Di Lucca
Position Title: Growth and Yield Applications Specialist
Contact: B.C. Government Directory
Mario provides specialized growth and yield information, expertise, technology transfer and extension functions in stand development modelling research and applications to a broad range of clients. This information assists key resources management decisions including silviculture investments, timber supply review and Provincial allowable annual cut (AAC) determination.
Current research projects
- Development, maintenance and technical support of growth and yield tools and models including SITETOOLS, TIPSY, FAN$IER, SYLVER and TASS III Graphic User Interface.
- Updating and maintenance of coastal and interior growth and yield database.
Listed in order of publication date.
- Bogdanski, B. E.C., M. Cruickshank, C.M. Di Lucca and E. Becker. 2018. Stumping out tree root disease – An economic analysis of controlling root disease, including its effects on carbon storage in southern British Columbia. Forest Ecology and Management 409 (2018) 129–147. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378112717306503?via%3Dihub
- Cruickshank, M.G., R.N. Sturrock, M. Di Lucca, and R.I. Alfaro, 2016. Modeling the impact of pest damage: case studies for conifers in British Columbia, Canada. Ecological Forest Management Handbook. pp. 281-302.
- Di Lucca, C.M. 2011. Using TIPSY to predict the effect of stand management on quantity and value of carbon and biomass. In Columbia Mountains Institute of Applied Ecology (editor). Presentation summaries from Carbon Management in British Columbia Ecosystems Workshop, June 15-16, 2011, Nelson, BC. pp. 18-32
- Cuzner, D., M. Di Lucca, and J. Goudie. 2010. TASS III: The new growth and yield prediction model. LINK 11(2):13-14.
- Parish, R., J.A. Antos, P.K. Ott, and C.M. Di Lucca. 2010. Snag longevity of Douglas-fir, western hemlock, and western redcedar from permanent sample plots in coastal British Columbia. For. Ecol. Manage. 259(3):633-640. [Link]
- Mansfield, S.D., R. Parish, C.M. Di Lucca, J.W. Goudie, K-Y. Kang, and P.K. Ott. 2009. Revisiting the transition between juvenile and mature wood: a comparison of fibre length, microfibril angle and relative wood density in lodgepole pine. Holzforschung 63(4):449-456
- Di Lucca, M. and J.W. Goudie. 2007. Variable retention yield adjustments in TIPSY. In: Overcoming Obstacles to Variable Retention in Forest Management: Science to Management Forum Proceedings, September 25-27, 2007. BC Journal of Ecosystems and Management 8(3):108-111.
- Di Lucca, C.M., S.J. Mitchell, and K.E. Byrne. 2006. Using TIPSY to evaluate windthrow effects on regeneration in variable retention harvests. B.C. Min. For. Range, Res. Br., Victoria, B.C. Exten. Note 77. http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfd/pubs/Docs/En/En77.htm [Link]
- Goudie, J.W., C.M. Di Lucca, W. Klenner, I.R. Cameron, R. Parish, and K.R. Polsson. 2005. Application of simulation models to the design and analysis of silvicultural systems in British Columbia. In: Balancing ecosystem values: innovative experiments for sustainable forestry: proceedings of a conference. Portland, Oregon. USDA, US Forest Service, General Technical Technical Report. PNW-GTR-635. pp. 175-186. [Link]
- Di Lucca, C.M., J.W. Goudie, and S.C. Stearns-Smith. 2004. Variable retention yield adjustment factors for TIPSY. B.C. Min. For., Res. Br., Victoria, B.C. Exten. Note 69. http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfd/pubs/Docs/En/En69.htm [Link]
- Goudie, J.W., and Di Lucca, C.M. 2002. Modelling the relationship between crown morphology and wood characteristics of coastal western hemlock in British Columbia. In Fourth Workshop on the connection between silviculture and wood quality through modelling approaches and simulation software, Harrison Hot Springs, British Columbia Canada, September 8-15, 2002, Edited by Gerard Nepveu. Equipe de Recherches sur la Qualite' des Bois, INRA, Nancy, France, pp. 308-319.
- Di Lucca, C.M. 2001. Using TIPSY to analyze the value of fertilized lodgepole pine stands. In: Enhanced forest management conference: fertilization and economics: proceedings of a conference held March 1 and 2, 2001, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Colin Bamsey [Ed.] Clear Lake Ltd., pp. 130-137.
- Mitchell, K.J., K.R. Polsson, C.M. Di Lucca, G.D. Nigh, S.E. Grout, and S.C. Stearns-Smith. 2000. SiteTools version 3.2. Online. Ministry of Forests, Research Branch, Victoria B.C.
- Mitchell, K.J., M. Stone, S.E. Grout, K.R. Polsson, C.M. Di Lucca, G.D. Nigh, J.W. Goudie, J.N. Stone, A.F. Nussbaum, A.D. Yanchuk, S.C. Stearns-Smith, and R.P. Brockley. 2000. TIPSY version 3.0. Online. Ministry of Forests, Research Branch, Victoria B.C. July 2000.
- Mitchell, K.J., K.R. Polsson, G.D. Nigh, C.M. Di Lucca, S.E. Grout, and S.C. Stearns-Smith. 1998. SiteTools version 3.1. Ministry of Forests, Research Branch, Victoria B.C.
- Mitchell, K.J., M. Stone, S.E. Grout, K.R. Polsson, C.M. Di Lucca, G.D. Nigh, J.W. Goudie, J.N. Stone, A.F. Nussbaum, and S.C. Stearns-Smith. 1998. TIPSY version 2.1. Ministry of Forests, Research Branch, Victoria B.C.
- Thrower, J.S., A.F. Nussbaum, and C.M. Di Lucca. 1991. Site index curves and tables for British Columbia - interior species: second edition. B.C. Min. For., Res. Br., Victoria, B.C. Land Manag. Handb. Field Guide Insert 6. www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfd/pubs/Docs/Fgi/Fgi06.htm [Link]
- Di Lucca, C.M. 1989. Juvenile-mature wood transition. In: Second growth Douglas-fir: its management and conversion for value, R.M. Kellogg (editor). Forintek Canada Corp., Spec. Publ. No. SP-32, Vancouver, B.C. Pp. 23-38.
- Di Lucca, C.M. 1987. Juvenile - mature wood transition in second-growth coastal Douglas-fir. MSc Thesis. Univ. B.C., Vancouver, B.C. 162 pp. [PDF 3285KB]