Publications – John Parminter
This researcher no longer works for the B.C. Government.
Listed in order of publication date.
- Parminter, J.V. 2014. Natural Disturbance Bibliography for British Columbia. Prov. B.C., Victoria, B.C. Tech. Rep. 080. www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfd/pubs/Docs/Tr/Tr080.htm [Link]
- Newman, R.F., J. Parminter, and B.M. Wallace. 2012. Understorey vegetation response following restoration of ingrown ponderosa pine and Douglas-fir stands in the East Kootenay region. Prov. B.C., Victoria, B.C. Tech. Rep. 071. www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfd/pubs/Docs/Tr/Tr071.htm [Link]
- Parminter, J. 2012. Natural disturbance bibliography for British Columbia. BC Forest Service, Victoria, BC, 122pp. [PDF 668KB]
- Newman, R., H. Page, and J. Parminter. 2007. Understory succession following ecosystem restoration treatments in ingrown dry forests. Poster presented at the Ecological Restoration in Southeastern B.C: Grasslands to Mountaintops conference. Sponsored by the B.C. Chapter, Society for Ecological Restoration, and the Columbia Mountains Institute, Cranbrook, B.C. Oct.12-13, 2007. [PDF 183KB]
- Schmidt, R.L. and J.V. Parminter. 2006. An Early History of the Research Branch, British Columbia Ministry of Forests and Range. B.C. Min. For. Range, Res. Br., Victoria, B.C. Tech. Rep. 036. http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfd/pubs/Docs/Tr/Tr036.htm [Link]
- Parminter, J. and D. Carson. 2006. The Cowichan Lake Research Station Turns 77. TICtalk 7(1):25-26. [TICtalk 2006 1319KB]
- Beck, J., J. Parminter, M. Alexander, E. MacDermid, T. Van Nest, A. Beaver, and S. Grimaldi. 2005. Fire Ecology and Management. In Forestry Handbook - 5th ed. S.B Watts and L. Tolland (editors). UBC Press. Vancouver, BC. pp. 490-525
- Densmore, N., J. Parminter, and V. Stevens. 2004. Coarse woody debris: Inventory, decay modelling, and management implications in three biogeoclimatic zones. BC Journal of Ecosystems and Management 5(2):14-29.
- Parminter, J.V. 2002. Coarse Woody Debris decomposition - principles, rates and models. Presented to: Northern Interior Vegetation Management Association (NIVMA) and Northern Silviculture Committee (NSC) Winter Workshop: Optimizing wildlife trees and coarse woody debris retention at the stand and landscape level. January 22-24, 2002. Prince George, B.C. (Abstract published in meeting proceedings). [PDF 1354KB]
- Parminter, J.V. 2002. Tom Wright: pioneer British Columbian forester and tree farmer. Forest History Today, Spring 2002:21-28. <http://www.foresthistory.org/Publications/FHT/fhtspr2002.html>
- Stone, J., J. Parminter, A. Arsenault, T. Manning, N. Densmore, G. Davis, and A. MacKinnon. 2002. Dead Tree Management in British Columbia. In: Proceedings of the Symposium on the Ecology and Management of Dead Wood in Western Forests. USDA Forest Service. General Technical Report PSW-GTR-181. pp. 849-862. [Link]
- Stone, J., J. Parminter, and J. Braz. 2002. Standing dead tree dynamics extracted from growth and yield permanent sample plots in British Columbia. In: Proceedings of the symposium on the ecology and management of dead wood in western forests. November 2-4, 1999. Reno, Nevada. USDA Forest Service General Technical Report PSW-GTR-181. Albany, California. pp. 467-478. xii + 949 p. [Link]
- Parminter, J.V. 2000. From timber to biodiversity: the evolution of British Columbia's forest inventory program. Forest History Today, Fall 2000: pp. 12-19.
- Parminter, J.V. 2000. Tom Wright: recollections of a pioneer forester and tree farmer. Forest History Association of British Columbia in cooperation with Trafford Publishing, Victoria, B.C. xiii + 106 pp.
- Yearsley, H.K. and J. Parminter. 1998. Seral stages across forested landscapes: relationships to biodiversity - part 7 of 7. B.C. Min. For., Res. Br., Victoria, B.C. Exten. Note 18. http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfd/pubs/Docs/En/En18.htm [Link]
- Parminter, J.V. 1998. Natural disturbance ecology (Chapter 1). In Conservation biology principles for forested landscapes. J. Voller and S. Harrison (editors). UBC Press, Vancouver, B.C. pp. 3-41.
- Stone, J.N., A. MacKinnon, J.V. Parminter, and K.P. Lertzman. 1998. Coarse woody debris decomposition documented over 65 years on southern Vancouver Island. Can. J. For. Res. 28(5):788-793. [Link]
- Parminter, J. and P. Daigle. 1997. Landscape ecology and natural disturbances: relationships to biodiversity - part 2 of 7. B.C. Min. For., Res. Br., Victoria, B.C. Exten. Note 10. http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfd/pubs/Docs/En/En10.htm [Link]
- Parminter, J.V. 1995. Human influence on landscape pattern in the Pacific Region: impacts of burning by First Nations and early European settlers. In Proceedings of the Pacific Division, American Association for the Advancement of Science 76th Annual Meeting of the Pacific Division, AAAS, 18 June 1995, Vancouver, B.C. Pacific Division, AAAS, San Francisco, California. Program with Abstracts - Volume 14, Part 1, p.53 (Presentation 72KB)]
- Parminter, J.V. 1993. Fire history of Bowron Lake Park. Research Branch, Ministry of Forests, Victoria, B.C. 19 p. + map [PDF 1592KB]
- Harper, W.L. and J. Parminter. 1992. Procedures for habitat monitoring in British Columbia. In Fire in Pacific Northwest Ecosystems: Exploring emerging issues. Jan. 21-23, 1992, Portland, Ore. pp. 122.
- Parminter, J.V. 1992. Effects of fire on forest ecology: fire and biodiversity. Fire Management Technical Session, Annual Meeting - Canadian Institute of Forestry. September 24, 1992. Vancouver, B.C. 6 p.
- Parminter, J. 1991. A review of fire ecology, fire history and prescribed burning in southern British Columbia. Burning Alternatives Panel - Sixth Annual Fire Management Symposium, Southern Interior Fire Management Committee. May 29 - 30, 1991. Kelowna, B.C. 17 p. [PDF 216KB]
- Johnston, M. and J. Parminter. 1990. Fire effects expert system project. In: Hamilton, E.H. (Compiler). Vegetation Management: An Integrated Approach - Proceedings of the Fourth Annual Vegetation Management Workshop November 14 - 16, 1989 Vancouver, B.C. B.C. Min. For. and For. Can., Victoria, B.C. FRDA Rep. 109. pp.105-106. [Link]
- Parminter, J.V. 1989. Prescribed Fire Management Information System - Project 1.11. B.C. Min. For. and For. Can. FRDA Research Memo No. 069. [Link]
- Trowbridge, R.L., B.C. Hawkes, A.M. Macadam, and J.V. Parminter. 1987. Field handbook for prescribed fire assessments in British Columbia: logging slash fuels. B.C. Min. For. and For. Can., Victoria, B.C. FRDA Handb. 001. www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfd/pubs/Docs/Frh/Frh001.htm [Link]
- Trowbridge, R.L., B.C. Hawkes, A.M. Macadam, and J.V. Parminter. 1986. Field Handbook for Prescribed Fire Assessments in British Columbia. B.C. Min. For., Res. Br., Victoria, B.C. Land Manag. Handb. 11. http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfd/pubs/Docs/Lmh/Lmh11.htm [Link]
- Parminter, J.V. 1986. Fire ecology, fire effects, and post-fire vegetation development. Bioline 5(1):17-20.
- Parminter, J.V. 1986. Guardians in the sky: aircraft and their use in forestry in B.C.: 1918 - 1926. Whistle Punk - B.C. Forest History Magazine 1(4):3-10. [PDF 1754KB]
- Parminter, J.V. 1985. Aircraft and their use in forestry in B.C.: 1918 - 1926. BC Forest Service, Victoria, BC [PDF 153KB]
- Parminter, J., V.G. Bate, P.L. Fuglem, and D.E. Gilbert. 1983. Forest Fire Management. in Forestry Handbook for British Columbia - 4th Edition - 5th ed. S.B Watts (editor). UBC Press. Vancouver, BC. pp. 353-371 [Link]
- Parminter, J.V. 1983. Book review of "Cutting up the north: the history of the forest industry in the northern interior.". J. For. Hist. 27(3):154. [Link]
- Parminter, J.V. 1983. Fire history and fire ecology in the Prince Rupert Forest Region. In Prescribed Fire - Forest Soils Symposium Proceedings, 2-3 March, 1982, Smithers, B.C. R.L. Trowbridge and A. Macadam (Editors). B.C. Min. For., Info. Serv. Br., Victoria, B.C. Land Manag. Rep. No.16. pp.1-35. [Link]
- Parminter, J.V. 1981. Protection as conservation: safeguarding British Columbia's forests from fire, 1874-1921. BC Forest Service, Victoria, BC [PDF 215KB]
- Strang, R.M. and J.V. Parminter. 1980. Conifer encroachment on the Chilcotin grasslands of British Columbia. For. Chron. 56(1):13-18. [Link]
- Parminter, J.V. 1979. A bibliography on climate causes of forest tree injury and mortality. Fac. For., Univ. B.C., Vancouver, B.C. 22 pp.
- Parminter, J.V. 1979. Climatic causes of irregular mortality - Final report on PC006. for Dr. J.H.G. Smith on belalf of the Min. For. Productivity Committee, Fac. For., Univ. B.C., Vancouver, B.C. 36 p.
- Parminter, J.V. 1978. An historical review of forest fire management in British Columbia. An Essay Submitted in Partial Fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of Master of Forestry in the Department of Forestry, Univ. B.C., Vancouver, B.C. iv + 111 p. [PDF 3834KB]
- Parminter, J.V. 1978. Forest encroachment upon grassland range in the Chilcotin region of British Columbia. An Essay Submitted in Partial Fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of Master of Forestry in the Department of Forestry, Univ. B.C., Vancouver