Publications – Dave Coates
This researcher no longer works for the B.C. Government.
Listed in order of publication date.
- Erica Lilles, K. David Coates: An Evaluation of the Main Factors Affecting Yield Differences between Single- and Mixed-species Stands.
- Erica Lilles, Amalesh Dhar, K. David Coates, Sybille Haeussler: Retention level affects dynamics of understory plant community recovery in northern temperate hemlock-cedar forests. Forest Ecology and Management 01/2018; DOI:10.1016/j.foreco.2017.12.033
- Woods AJ, Coates KD, Watts M, Foord, V, and Holtzman, E. 2017. Warning signals of adverse interactions between native stressors and climate change in British Columbia Forests. Forests, 8, 280; doi:10.3390/f8080280
- Woods, A.J., Coates, K.D., Watts, M., Foord, V. and E.I. Holtzman. 2017. Warning signals of adverse interactions between climate change and native stressors in British Columbia forests. Forests, Vol. 8(8), p. 1-21. doi: 10.3390/f8080280..
- Lilles, E., Rasmus Astrup, Marie-Lou Lefrançois, K. David Coates: Sapling leaf trait responses to light, tree height and soil nutrients for three conifer species of contrasting shade tolerance. Tree Physiology 11/2014; 34(12)., DOI:10.1093/treephys/tpu092
- Coates, K. David, Erica B. Lilles, Rasmus Astrup: Competitive interactions across a soil fertility gradient in a multispecies forest. Journal of Ecology 05/2013; 101(3):806–818., DOI:10.1111/1365-2745.12072
- A Woods, Coates KD. 2013. Are biotic disturbance agents challenging basic tenets of growth and yield and sustainable forest management?- Forestry: An International Journal of Forest Research, Volume 86, Issue 5, 1 December 2013, Pages 543–554. https://doi.org/10.1093/forestry/cpt026
- K. David Coates, Erica B. Lilles, Rasmus Astrup: Competitive interactions across a soil fertility gradient in a multispecies forest. Journal of Ecology 05/2013; 101(3):806–818., DOI:10.1111/1365-2745.12072
- Mah, S., K. Astridge, C. DeLong, C. Wickland, M. Todd, L. McAuley, P. LePage, D. Coates, B. Heemskerk, A. Banner, and E. Hall. 2012. A Landscape-level Species Strategy for Forest Management in British Columbia: Exploration of Development and Implementation Issues. Prov. B.C., Victoria, B.C. Tech. Rep. 067. www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfd/pubs/Docs/Tr/Tr067.htm [Link]
- Beaudet, M., B.D. Harvey, C. Messier, K.D. Coates, J. Poulin, D.D. Kneeshaw, S. Brais, and Y. Bergeron. 2011. Managing understory light conditions in boreal mixedwoods through variation in the intensity and spatial pattern of harvest: A modelling approach. For. Ecol. Manage. 261(1):84-94. [Link]
- Kranabetter, J.M., S.W. Simard, R.D. Guy, and K.D. Coates. 2010. Species patterns in foliar nitrogen concentration, nitrogen content and 13C abundance for understory saplings across light gradients. Plant Soil 327(1-2):389-401. [Link]
- Thorpe, H.C., R. Astrup, A. Trowbridge, and K.D. Coates. 2010. Competition and tree crowns: A neighborhood analysis of three boreal tree species. For. Ecol. Manage. 259(8):1586-1596. [Link]
- Campbell, E.M., S.C. Saunders, K.D. Coates, D.V. Meidinger, A. MacKinnon, G.A. O'Neill, D.J. MacKillop, S.C. DeLong, and D.G. Morgan. 2009. Ecological resilience and complexity: a theoretical framework for understanding and managing British Columbia’s forest ecosystems in a changing climate. B.C. Min. For. Range, For. Sci. Prog., Victoria, B.C. Tech. Rep. 055. www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfd/pubs/Docs/Tr/Tr055.htm
- Astrup, R., K.D. Coates, and E. Hall. 2008. Finding the appropriate level of complexity for a simulation model: An example with a forest growth model. For. Ecol. Manage. 256(10):1659-1665. [Link]
- Astrup, R., K.D. Coates, and E. Hall. 2008. Recruitment limitation in forests: Lessons from an unprecedented mountain pine beetle epidemic. For. Ecol. Manage. 256(10):1743-1750. [Link]
- Stadt, K.J., C. Huston, K.D. Coates, Z. Feng, M.R.T. Dale, and V.J. Lieffers. 2007. Evaluation of competition and light estimation indices for predicting diameter growth in mature boreal mixed forests. Ann. For. Sci. 64:477-490 [Link]
- Woods, A., K.D. Coates, and A. Hamann. 2005. Is an Unprecedented Dothistroma Needle Blight Epidemic Related to Climate Change?. BioScience 55(9):761-769.
- Kranabetter, J.M. and K.D. Coates. 2004. Ten-year postharvest effects of silviculture systems on soil-resource availability and conifer nutrition in a northern temperate forest. Can. J. For. Res. 34(4):800-809. [Link]
- Canham, C.D., P.T. LePage, and K.D. Coates. 2004. A neighborhood analysis of canopy tree competition: effects of shading versus crowding. Can. J. For. Res. 34(4):778-787. [Link]
- Coates, K.D., C.D. Canham, M. Beaudet, D.L. Sachs, and C. Messier. 2003. Use of a spatially explicit individual-tree model (SORTIE/BC) to explore the implications of patchiness in structurally complex forests. For. Ecol. Manage. 186(1-3):297-310. [Link]
- Coates, K.D. 2002. Tree recruitment in gaps of various size, clearcuts and undisturbed mixed forest of interior British Columbia, Canada. For. Ecol. Manage. 155(1-3):387-398. [Link]
- Greene, D.F., D.D. Kneeshaw, C. Messier, V. Lieffers, D. Cormier, R. Doucet, K.D. Coates, A. Groot, G. Grover, and C. Calogeropoulos. 2002. Modelling silvicultural alternatives for conifer regeneration in boreal mixedwood stands (aspen/white spruce/balsam fir). For. Chron. 78(2):281-295. [Link]
- Coates, D. 2001. Do Spatial Patterns of Retained Canopy Trees after Partial Cutting Affect the Risk and Extent of Wind Damage?. In: Mitchell, S.J. and J. Rodney (compilers). Proceedings of the Windthrow Researchers Workshop held January 31-February 1, 2001 in Richmond, British Columbia, pp. 157-165
- Coates, K.D. 2000. Conifer seedling response to northern temperate forest gaps. For. Ecol. Manage. 127(1-3):249-269. [Link]
- Pojar, J., C. Rowan, A. MacKinnon, D. Coates, and P. LePage. 1999. Silvicultural options in the central coast. Report to the Central Coast Land and Coast Resource Management Plan, B.C. Ministry of Sustainable Resource Management, Victoria, B.C.
- Coates, K.D. and P.J. Burton. 1999. Growth of planted tree seedlings in response to ambient light levels in northwestern interior cedar-hemlock forests of British Columbia. Can. J. For. Res. 29(9):1374-1382. [Link]
- Durall, D.M., M.D. Jones, E.F. Wright, P. Kroeger, and K.D. Coates. 1999. Species richness of ectomycorrhizal fungi in cutblocks of different sizes in the Interior Cedar-Hemlock forests of northwestern British Columbia: sporocarps and ectomycorrhizae. Can. J. For. Res. 29(9):1322-1332. [Link]
- Steventon, D., D. Coates, and M. Kranabetter. 1998. Why Do Partial Cutting?. Forest Sciences, Prince Rupert For. Region. Ext. Note 31.
- Wright, E.F., K.D. Coates, and P. Bartemucci. 1998. Regeneration from seed of six tree species in the interior cedar-hemlock forests of British Columbia as affected by substrate and canopy gap position. Can. J. For. Res. 28(9):1352-1364 [Link]
- Wright, E.F., K.D. Coates, C.D. Canham, and P. Bartemucci. 1998. Species variability in growth response to light across climatic regions in northwestern British Columbia. Can. J. For. Res. 28(6):871-886. [Link]
- Coates, K.D. and P.J. Burton. 1997. A gap-based approach for development of silvicultural systems to address ecosystem management objectives. For. Ecol. Manage. 99(3):337-357. [Link]
- Coates, K.D., A. Banner, J.D. Steventon, P. LePage, and P. Bartemucci. 1997. The Date Creek Silvicultural Systems Study in the Interior Cedar-Hemlock Forests of Northwestern British Columbia: Overview and Treatment Summaries. B.C. Min. For., Res. Br., Victoria, B.C. Land Manag. Handb. 38. http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfd/pubs/docs/Lmh/Lmh38.htm [Link]
- Coates, K.D. 1997. Windthrow damage 2 years after partial cutting at the Date Creek silvicultural systems
- study in the Interior Cedar?Hemlock forests of northwestern British Columbia. Can. J. For. Res. 27(10):1695-1701. [Link]
- Kobe, R.K. and K.D. Coates. 1997. Models of sapling mortality as a function of growth to characterize interspecific variation in shade tolerance of eight tree species of northwestern British Columbia. Can. J. For. Res. 27(2):227-236 [Link]
- Kayahara, G.J., H.Y.H. Chen, K. Klinka, and K.D. Coates. 1996. Relations of terminal growth and specific leaf area to available light in naturally regenerated seedling of lodgepole pine and interior spruce in central British Columbia. B.C. Min. For., Res. Br., Victoria, B.C. Res. Rep. 09. www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfd/pubs/docs/rr/rr09.htm [Link]
- Burton, P. and D. Coates. 1996. Characterizing Old Growth and Strategies for Old Growth Management. Forest Sciences, Prince Rupert For. Region. Ext. Note 14.
- Krasowski, M.J., C.D.B. Hawkins, H. Coates, and P.K. Ott. 1996. Static tests of lodgepole pine stability in the central interior of British Columbia. Can. J. For. Res. 26(8):1463-72. [Link]
- Steventon, J.D. and D. Coates. 1996. Principles of patch retention harvesting. In: Bradford, P., T. Manning, and B. l'Anson (editors). Wildlife tree/Stand-level biodiversity workshop proceedings, Victoria, BC. pp. 11-14
- LePage, P. and D. Coates. 1995. Growth of Planted Lodgepole Pine and Hybrid Spruce Following Chemical and Manual Vegetation Control on a Frost-Prone Site. Forest Sciences, Prince Rupert For. Region. Ext. Note 06.
- Coates, K.D. and J.D. Steventon. 1994. Principles of patch retention harvesting. Forest Sciences, Prince Rupert For. Region. Ext. Note 02.
- Wang, Q., G.G. Wang, K.D. Coates, and K. Klinka. 1994. Use of site factors to predict lodgepole pine and interior spruce site index in the sub-boreal spruce zone. B.C. Min. For., Victoria, B.C., Res. Note 114. http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfd/pubs/Docs/Mr/Rn114.htm [Link]
- Coates, K.D., S. Haeussler, S.B. Lindeburgh, R.A. Pojar, and A.J. Stock. 1994. Ecology and Silviculture of Interior Spruce in British Columbia. Res. Br., B.C. Min. For. and For. Can., Victoria, B.C. FRDA Rep. 220. [Link]
- Pollack, J.P., W.D. Johnstone, K.D. Coates, and P. LePage. 1992. Influence of initial espacement on the growth of a 32-year-old white spruce plantation. B.C. Min. For., Victoria, B.C., Res. Note 111. http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfd/pubs/Docs/Mr/Rn111.htm [Link]
- Coates, K.D. and S. Haeussler (Compilers). 1990. Synopsis Topic Summary for the Operational Forester Mechanical Site Preparation for Cold Site Management. B.C. Min. For. and For. Can. FRDA Research Memo No. 160. [Link]
- Haeussler, S., K.D. Coates, and W.J. Mather. 1990. Autecology of Common Plants in British Columbia: A Literature Review. B.C. Min. For. and For. Can., Victoria, B.C. FRDA Rep. 158. [Link]
- Coates, K.D., S. Haeussler, and W.J. Mather. 1990. A guide to the response of common plants in British Columbia to management treatments. B.C. Min. For. and For. Can., Victoria, B.C. FRDA Handb. 008. www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfd/pubs/Docs/Frh/Frh008.htm [Link]
- Coates, K.D. 1988. Effects of shrubs and herbs on conifer regeneration and microclimate in the Rhododendron-Vaccinium-Menziesia community of South-Central British Columbia. In: Hamilton, E.H. and S.B. Watts (Compilers). Vegetation Competition and Responses: Proceedings of the Third Annual Vegetation Management Workshop February 15 - 17, 1988 Vancouver, B.C. Res. Br., B.C. Min. For. and For. Can., Victoria, B.C. FRDA Rep. 026. pp.41-42. [Link]
- Coates, D. and A. Vyse. 1988. Conifer Regeneration in the Rhododendron-Vaccinium-Menziesia Brush Community of South Central B.C. - Project No. 3.31. B.C. Min. For. and For. Can. FRDA Research Memo No. 011. [Link]
- Lewis, T., J. Pojar, D. Holmes, R.L. Trowbridge, and K.D. Coates. 1986. A Field Guide for Identification and Interpretation of the Sub-Boreal Spruce Zone in the Prince Rupert Forest Region A Preliminary Guide to the Response of Major Species of Competing Vegetation to Silvicultural Treatments. B.C. Min. For., Res. Br., Victoria, B.C. Land Manag. Handb. 10. http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfd/pubs/Docs/Lmh/Lmh10.htm [Link]
- Haeussler, S. and K.D. Coates. 1986. Autecological characteristics of selected species that compete with conifers in British Columbia: a literature review. B.C. Min. For., Res. Br., Victoria, B.C. Land Manag. Rep. 33. http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfd/pubs/Docs/Mr/Lmr033.htm [Link]
- Haeussler, S. and K.D. Coates. 1986. Autecological Characteristics of Selected Species that Compete with Conifers in British Columbia : A Literature Review. B.C. Min. For. and For. Can., Victoria, B.C. FRDA Rep. 001. [Link]
- Coates, K.D. and S. Haeussler. 1986. A Preliminary Guide to the Response of Major Species of Competing Vegetation to Silvicultural Treatments. B.C. Min. For., Res. Br., Victoria, B.C. Land Manag. Handb. 9. http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfd/pubs/Docs/Lmh/Lmh09.htm [Link]
- Coates, K.D., J.P. Pollack, and J.E. Barker. 1985. The Effect of Deer Browsing on the Early Growth of Three Conifer Species in the Queen Charlotte Islands (scanned PDF file 1466KB). B.C. Min. For., Victoria, B.C. Res. Rep. R85002-PR. [Research Report 85002-PR 1466KB]
- Pojar, J., R.L. Trowbridge, and K.D. Coates. 1984. Ecosystem classification and interpretation of the sub-boreal spruce zone, Prince Rupert forest region, British Columbia. B.C. Min. For., Res. Br., Victoria, B.C.
- Land Manag. Rep. 17. http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfd/pubs/Docs/Mr/Lmr017.htm [Link]