Publications – Charlie Cartwright
Position Title: Forest Geneticist
Contact: B.C. Government Directory
Charlie directs the forest genetics programs for western hemlock and the true firs (Abies) that thrive in British Columbia. He is also responsible for some gene conservation initiatives of the Gene Conservation Technical Advisory Committee under the umbrella of the Forest Genetics Council of BC.
Current research projects
- Field testing of whitebark pine
- Realized gain of western hemlock
- Climate based seed transfer guidelines for grand fir
Listed in order of publication date.
- Cappa, E.P., Yanchuk, A.D. and C. V. Cartwright. 2012. Bayesian inference for multi-environment spatial individual-tree models with additive and full-sib family effects for large forest genetic trials. Annuals of Forest Science 69:627-640.
- O'Neill, G.A., N.K. Ukrainetz, M.R. Carlson, C.V. Cartwright, B.C. Jaquish, J.N. King, J. Krakowski, J.H. Russell, M.U. Stoehr, C-Y. Xie, and A.D. Yanchuk. 2008. Assisted migration to address climate change in British Columbia: recommendations for interim seed transfer standards. B.C. Min. For. Range, Res. Br., Victoria, B.C. Tech. Rep. 048. http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfd/pubs/Docs/Tr/Tr048.htm [Link]
- Carlson, M., C. Cartwright, B. Jaquish, J. King, S. L'Hirondelle, G. O'Neill, J. Russell, M. Stoehr, C-Y. Xie, and A. Yanchuk. 2004. British Columbia Ministry of Forests Forest Genetics Research and Tree Breeding Program. In: Simpson, J.D. (editor). Proceedings of the 29th Meeting of the Canadian Tree Improvement Association. July 26-29, 2004, Kelowna, BC. pp.91-100.
- Cartwright, C. and J. King. 2004. Effects of genotype and silviculture on extent of terminal weevil damage to juvenile Sitka spruce. In: Climate Change and Forest Genetics, 29th Meeting of the Canadian Tree Improvement Association, July 26-29, 2004, Kelowna, BC. pp. 86.
- King, J. and C. Cartwright. 1999. Western hemlock: a cooperative approach to tree improvement. TICtalk 2(1):16-17. [TICtalk 2 - 1999 293KB]
- King, J.N., C. Cartwright, J. Hatton, and A.D. Yanchuk. 1998. The potential of improving western hemlock pulp and paper quality. I. Genetic control and interrelationships of wood and fibre traits. Can. J. For. Res. 28(6):863-870. [Link]
- Woods, J.H., J.N. King, and C.V. Cartwright. 1995. Early genetic gains verified in realized-gain trials of coastal Douglas-fir and western hemlock. B.C. Min. For., Res. Br., Victoria, B.C. Exten. Note 01. http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfd/pubs/Docs/En/En01.htm [Link]
- Russell, J.H. and C.V. Cartwright. 1991. The genetics of yellow-cypress. In: Proceedings of symposium, Yellow-cypress: can we grow it ? can we sell it? D. Lousier, ed. March 26 - 28, Richmond, B.C. FRDA Report 171. pp 34-43. [Link]