Licensed Security Professions
Security Worker Licence Renewal Applicants: Due to delays in processing a large number of renewal applications, the Registrar of Security Services is temporarily extending, by two months, all valid one-year and two-year term security worker licences expiring between the months of October and December 2018 (inclusive).
As the maximum term for a security worker licence is three years, no further term extension is possible for renewal applicants holding a three-year licence. Pending renewal applications for holders of three-year security worker licences are being processed on a priority basis. All other applications will still be processed in date order received.
In British Columbia, a licence is required to practice these security professions:
A Security Guard (and Security Guard under Supervision):
- Provides or supervises a guard patrol or watch of property
- Provides or supervises a guard of an individual
- Performs services to prevent the loss of property
- Provides door security at an establishment licensed under the Liquor Control and Licensing Act
Security guards can also respond to and monitor alarms installed on the property of another person.
A Security Guard Under Supervision does the work of a security guard only under the direct supervision of a fully licensed security guard. This type of licence is only valid for 90 days and can only be held once.
A Security Alarm Installer (and a Security Alarm Installer under Supervision) is a person who sells, supplies, provides advice on, or offers to install a security alarm and maintains or repairs security alarms.
A Security Alarm Installer can also code or recode an electronic locking device, make, sell or otherwise provide a lock operating device for an electronic locking device.
This licensee can also sell, supply, provide advice on, service or install any closed circuit television equipment device or system.
This category also allows for monitoring and responding to alarms installed on another person’s property.
A Security Alarm Installer Under Supervision must work under the supervision of a fully licensed Security Alarm Installer.
A Security Alarm Monitor monitors security alarms installed on the property of another person.
A Security Alarm Responder responds to and monitors security alarms installed on the property of another person.
A Security Alarm Salesperson sells or gives advice on security alarms.
A Security Consultant advises on protecting property from vandalism, intrusion, trespass or theft; or detects electromagnetic, acoustical or other devices by which private communications or records may be intercepted, transmitted or examined.
An Armoured Car Guard transports property, valuables and money in approved armoured vehicles. Armoured car guards may possess firearms in connection with their employment upon providing proof to the Registrar that they have a current, valid Authorization to Carry Restricted Firearms and Prohibited Handguns certificate (ATC).
A Locksmith (and Locksmith under Supervision):
- Makes, services, repairs, codes, records, rekeys or repins locking devices (except a person who codes or recodes a device that person owns)
- Cuts, makes, sells or otherwise provides restricted keys
- Cuts, makes, sells or otherwise provides keys from a numerical or alphabetical code or a combination of numerical and alphabetical codes
- Sells, services or repairs safes, vaults or other similar secure storage methods
- Sells, supplies and installs an electronic locking device
A Locksmith Under Supervision performs the work of a locksmith only while under the supervision of a fully licensed locksmith.
A Private Investigator (and Private Investigator under Supervision and in-house Private Investigator) is a person paid to seek or obtain information about:
- Crimes, offences, contraventions or misconduct, or allegations of crimes, offences contraventions or misconduct
- The activities, character or repute of a person or organization
- The whereabouts of a person
- The location, disposition or recovery of lost, stolen or missing property
- The cause of or the responsibility of any fire, accident or incident in which damage to property or injury to any person has occurred
A Private Investigator under Supervision performs the work of a private investigator only under the supervision of a fully licensed private investigator.
A Closed Circuit Television Installer sells, supplies, provides advice on, services or installs any closed circuit television equipment, device or system.
An Electronic Locking Device (Access Control) Installer:
- Sells, supplies, advises on, serves or installs an electronic locking device
- Codes or recodes an electronic locking device
- Makes, sells or provides a lock-operating device for an electronic locking device
Body Armour Sales and Body Armour Vendor
Body armour may only be sold by licensed security businesses (with licence type body armour vendor listed on their licence) and by licensed security workers (who have licence type body armour sales listed on their licence). Licensed security businesses and licensed security workers do not have to apply for a permit to possess body armour for the purposes of sales.
Security businesses and security guards using dogs while providing security services must have authorization to do so from the Registrar of Security Services. The dog handler and dog must complete validations through the Justice Institute of British Columbia before requesting authorization from the Registrar.
Security guards who want to use restraints while providing security services must first earn an Advanced Security Training (AST) Certificate from the Justice Institute of British Columbia before requesting authorization from the Registrar of Security Services.