How to nominate someone for a Premier’s Awards for Excellence in Education
The 2022 nomination period is now closed.
Please check back for information regarding the next nomination period.
The Premier’s Awards for Excellence in Education are open to individuals currently working in the public, independent or First Nations school systems in British Columbia.
You can nominate an individual for an award in one of three ways – web form (easiest), e-mail or download the PDF forms and send in by mail.
Last updated: January 21, 2022
On this page:
Each nominee must meet the eligibility criteria specified for each category, in addition to the following:
- Nominees must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents
- For categories requiring a B.C. teaching certificate, nominees must:
- Be certified to teach in a B.C. K-12 public, independent or First Nations school
- A nominee’s teaching certification must be in good standing
Note: If the teaching certification is withdrawn between the time of nomination and the award presentation, we reserve the right to withdraw the candidacy. If eligibility status of a nomination is compromised or changes, the nominator and/or nominee has the responsibility to inform us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Choose the appropriate award category
There are ten (10) award categories. Based on the criteria, choose the category that best describes/fits the individual(s) you are nominating
- Get permission from your nominee(s) and provide permission yourself
Each of you need to complete and sign a Consent and Release Form for Personal Information to submit as part of the nomination package to allow us to use the information you provide:
- Find two people who will provide a letter of support for your nomination
They should have direct knowledge of the nominee’s accomplishments and be willing to write a short letter of support explaining why your candidate(s) should receive an award
For Teaching, District Leadership and School Leadership Awards:
At least one of the letters must be from a principal or vice-principal, superintendent or mayor
For Outstanding Support Awards:
At least one of the letters must be from a teacher, principal or vice-principal, superintendent, direct supervisor, co-worker or parent in the school community
Get permission from your supporters
The individuals providing you with a letter of support will need to provide permission to use the information provided in their letters. Each of them will need to complete and sign the Nominator and Third Party Privacy Consent Form (PDF)
- Write your nomination letter explaining why your nominee(s) deserves a Premier’s Award
Your nomination letter and the two letters of support help the adjudication and judges’ panels to appreciate your candidate’s strengths. Please keep them short. Each letter should be no more than two pages long, no smaller than 12 pt font and must be signed by the writer
- Complete the nomination in one of three ways
Nominations are now closed and will not be accepted until the next nomination period is open.
Please check back for announcement of those dates. Thank you.
1. Complete the nomination web form (easiest)
2. Email the nomination to email@example.com
3. Mail-in the nomination forms (including all consent & release forms as well as letters of support) to:
Attn: Nomination for Premier’s Awards for Excellence in Education
Manager, Corporate Planning
Ministry of Education and Child Care
PO Box 9179 Stn Prov Govt
Victoria, BC V8W 9H8
If you’re submitting a nomination package by e-mail or mail, please review the nomination package checklist before you send to ensure your submission is complete.
Three (3) letters (nomination letter and two letters of support) must be provided with each nomination and must be dated and signed by the author. They should demonstrate a nominee’s positive impact on students and provide evidence of the nominee’s excellence and achievements under all the selection criteria listed for a specific category.
Letters of support must meet the following requirements:
- Letters must be written by anyone with direct knowledge of the nominee’s accomplishments, for example:
- Community organizations
- One letter must come from the school principal, vice-principal, superintendent or mayor
- Letters should not exceed two pages, using 12pt font
- Each letter must be dated, signed and submitted prior to the nomination deadline as part of the nomination package
- Letters cannot come from a nominee’s immediate family member
- Immediate family is defined as the nominee’s father, mother (or alternatively stepfather, stepmother, or foster parent), brother, sister (including step- or half-sibling), spouse (including common-law partner), child (including child of common-law partner), stepchild or ward of the employee, grand-parent, grandchild, father-in-law, mother-in-law, and relative permanently residing in the employee’s household or with whom the employee permanently resides.