Information for School Districts & Independent Schools
Schools districts and independent school associations are required to develop and submit a Stage 2 Restart Plan before the 2020/21 school year begins.
Last updated: August 13, 2020
On this page:
School districts and independent school associations must develop a Restart Plan that outlines their approach to providing full in-class instruction for all students in September.
The plan must include:
- How in-class instruction will be offered in elementary, middle and secondary schools using learning groups
- Collaboration and consultation with community partners and local unions that occurred in the development of the district/school approach to learning groups
- Revisions to district and school health and safety plans to meet the requirements of the updated COVID-19 Public Health Guidance for K-12 School Settings (PDF)
- Consultation and engagement with First Nations governments and parents/caregivers about the educational choices and transportation available for First Nations students attending public schools
School districts and independent schools must have the necessary plans in place to be able to shift quickly between stages of the Five Stages Framework if and when required.
Under the jurisdiction of individual First Nations, some First Nations independent schools may remain closed.
- They are not required to submit a plan to the Ministry
August 10, 2020
- Release of September Return to School Planning & Reporting template
- School districts and independent schools continue to develop a Stage 2 Restart Plan outlining their approach to providing full in-class instruction for all students in September
August 17, 2020
- Release of updated K-12 Operating Guidelines for COVID-19 and final K-12 Education Restart Steering Committee materials
August 17 to 21, 2020
- School districts and independent school associations finalize their Restart Plans and submit to the Ministry of Education for review
August 21 to 26, 2020
- Ministry reviews Restart Plans and confirms school district and independent school association approaches
- School districts and schools begin to communicate information to parents on health and safety guidelines, learning groups, scheduling and enrolment options under their Stage 2 plans
August 26, 2020
- School districts and schools communicate information to parents on Stage 2 plans and post their final versions online
September 8, 2020
- Stage 2 starts