Primary Years Information for Teachers
The Primary Years build a strong foundation for lifelong learning. As a Primary Years teacher, you are in a unique position to support children in bridging the gap between their early learning environments and their school experiences. The Early Learning Framework offers guidance to educators around reflective practices and inquiry-based learning.
Primary students learn best when:
- Activities are play based, involving exploration and inquiry, with hands-on activities that engage all their senses
- Activities are developmentally and culturally appropriate
- Environments provide for their social-emotional, intellectual, aesthetic, artistic, and physical development, and growth in social responsibility
- The adults in their world — teachers, families, school and community members —work together to support them
Find practical tips and suggestions that are based on current research designed for creating a high quality full day Kindergarten program at your school:
- Full Day Kindergarten Program Guide (PDF, 1.82MB)
- La maternelle à temps plein guide de programme (PDF, 2.10MB)
Provincial Outreach Program for the Early Years' (POPEY) resources are designed to support and empower K-3 educators to provide effective literacy instruction for diverse learners in inclusive classroom settings. POPEY facilitates the sharing of foundational and comprehensive literacy resources through their website, workshops, and District Partner Network.
School districts and early years providers collaborate on innovative programs that support readying school for children. Find examples from a 2017 report that show effective and emerging practices across the Province: