Early Learning Framework
B.C.’s Early Learning Framework includes learning principles and key areas of learning for children up to five years old:
- British Columbia Early Learning Framework (PDF, 1.20MB)
- Colombie-Britannique Cadre pédagogique pour l’apprentissage des jeunes enfants (PDF, 1.33MB)
The Framework applies to all learning environments, from StrongStart BC programs to child care settings, pre-schools and other early childhood development or child health programs. It also:
- Supports dialogue and reflection on the importance of the development and learning of young children.
- Guides early learning programs and activities.
- Encourages discussion with families about their child’s early learning.
- Shapes professional development.
- Creates a shared image of children to guide the promotion of early learning.
Early learning practitioners will find it useful to refer to this professional development document, created to support implementation of the Framework:
- Understanding the British Columbia Early Learning Framework: From Theory to Practice (PDF)
- Comprendre le Cadre pédagogique pour l’apprentissage des jeunes enfants de la Colombie-Britannique: De la théorie à la practique (PDF)
Participate in online professional development opportunities related to the Framework or contact a field leader or college instructor for more information: