Early Learning Framework
Last updated: March 07, 2023
On this page:
- Learning Resources for the Early Learning Framework
- Early Learning Summit
- Contact Information
B.C.’s Early Learning Framework guides and supports early childhood educators, primary school teachers, principals and vice-principals, college and university educators and researchers, post-secondary students in early childhood and elementary education programs, other early years professionals, communities, governments and families.
The Framework establishes a vision for respectfully living and learning together. It supports the rich early learning experiences of children, provides a focal point for dialogue among British Columbians, and creates a common language and greater understanding of the vital importance of early learning for all young children.
The Early Learning Framework applies to all learning environments, from StrongStart BC programs and primary classrooms to child care settings, preschools and other early childhood development or child health programs. It also
- Supports dialogue and reflection on the importance of the development and learning of young children
- Guides early learning programs and activities
- Encourages discussion with families about their child’s early learning
- Shapes professional development
- Creates a shared image of children to guide the promotion of early learning
View B.C.’s updated Early Learning Framework to see what’s new.
- British Columbia Early Learning Framework (PDF, 11.4MB)
- Cadre pédagogique pour la petite enfance de la Colombie-Britannique (PDF, 9.8MB)
Help families learn about the Early Learning Framework:
Learning Resources for the Early Learning Framework
- B.C. Early Learning Framework Poster (PDF, 10.4MB)
- B.C. Early Learning Framework Resource List (PDF)
An online course, Introducing the Early Learning Framework, now provides learning support for the revised Early Learning Framework (2019). These free online learning modules can provide up to 8 hours of professional development for those who work with or spend time with early learners (0-8 years), or can be a resource for those who wish to know about the framework.
Early Learning Summit
Rob Fleming, Minister of Education, alongside Katrine Conroy, Minister of Children and Family Development, and Katrina Chen, Minister of State for Child Care, hosted an Early Learning Summit on November 8, 2019.
Watch the Early Learning Summit presentations:
- Opening Presentation
- The Case for Expanding Early Childhood Education
- The Pre-emptive Nature of Quality Early Childhood Education on Special Educational Needs
- Provincial Voices – School Districts and Child Care
- Continuity of Learning: A Provincial, National and Global Perspective
For more information, please contact the Early Learning Team: