Early Learning Framework
B.C. has updated the Early Learning Framework to recognize the new realities of children, families and communities. The new framework was developed in collaboration with early childhood educators, primary teachers, academics, Indigenous organizations, Elders, government and other professionals. It includes several key changes:
- Expanded focus to children from infancy to eight years of age (previously five years of age)
- Increased focus on reconciliation and Indigenous worldviews
- Increased focus on inclusive practices
- Connects with new K-12 curriculum, core competencies and primary program principles
- Focus on integrating theory with practice
- Updated inquiry questions address all early learners
View B.C.’s updated Early Learning Framework to see what’s new.
- British Columbia Early Learning Framework (PDF, 11.4MB)
- Cadre pédagogique pour la petite enfance de la Colombie-Britannique (PDF, 9.8MB)
Help families learn about the Early Learning Framework:
B.C.’s Early Learning Framework guides and supports early childhood educators, primary school teachers, principals and vice-principals, college and university educators and researchers, post-secondary students in early childhood and elementary education programs, StrongStart BC facilitators, other early years professionals, communities, governments and families.
The Framework establishes a vision for respectfully living and learning together. It supports the rich early learning experiences of children, provides a focal point for dialogue among British Columbians, and creates a common language and greater understanding of the vital importance of early learning for all young children.
The Early Learning Framework applies to all learning environments, from StrongStart BC programs and primary classrooms to child care settings, preschools and other early childhood development or child health programs. It also
- Supports dialogue and reflection on the importance of the development and learning of young children
- Guides early learning programs and activities
- Encourages discussion with families about their child’s early learning
- Shapes professional development
- Creates a shared image of children to guide the promotion of early learning
Learning Resources for the Early Learning Framework
- B.C. Early Learning Framework Poster (PDF, 10.4MB)
- B.C. Early Learning Framework Resource List (PDF)
An online course, Introducing the Early Learning Framework, now provides learning support for the revised Early Learning Framework (2019). These free online learning modules can provide up to 8 hours of professional development for those who work with or spend time with early learners (0-8 years), or can be a resource for those who wish to know about the framework.