Full Day Kindergarten
A full day, play-based kindergarten program has long-term benefits for a child’s academic and social skills – it can help them succeed in school and in life. Access to full day kindergarten is available for all eligible five-year-olds in British Columbia.
When to Register
Children can start kindergarten in September of the year they turn five years old.
Kindergarten registration usually begins in January or February for the following September. Parents/caregivers should contact their local school district or independent school authority for registration information.
To register your child, the parent or legal guardian should bring the following items:
- Your child's original birth certificate, any applicable immigration documents, and/or proof of Canadian citizenship for both you and your child
- Your child’s immunization record
- Proof of your residence address (a document such as your current year property tax receipt, current month rental receipt, or a purchase/rental agreement)
Note: Parents are required to have their children registered for school or homeschooling by the calendar year in which they turn six. If parents choose to delay school enrolment for their five-year-old, they should discuss with the school principal the best placement for their child.
Find more information:
Help this transition to go smoothly for your child – before the first day, try to visit the school and tour your child's new classroom. Parents should also meet with school staff to identify their child's strengths, needs, interests and difficulties.
Learning supports: Entering school can be particularly challenging when a child has special needs. If your child requires support, further meetings with the school team will help ensure that:
- Necessary supports and materials are in place
- Your child's educators are prepared to deliver a tailored educational program