Carpenters perform duties in a specific skilled handicraft established under the Apprenticeship Act and requiring certification and vocational/apprenticeship training.
Positions included in the trades series are those in which one or more of the following activities are of primary importance:
- Perform skilled journeyman-level work within the scope of the trade in which they are qualified, according to standards of the corresponding trades established under the Apprenticeship Act, such as carpentry, electronics, mechanics, welding, electric maintenance and repair, bridgework
- Carry out assigned leadhand activities related to a specific trade
- Coordinate, direct and supervise a crew of trade journeymen
Excluded from this series are positions which perform
- Skilled or semi-skilled work not identified in the Apprenticeship Act as a trade
- Skilled or semi-skilled work not requiring certification and/or vocational/apprenticeship training