Long Service Awards at the BC Public Service
The Long Service Awards program celebrates and commemorates the long-term commitment and loyalty of BC Public Service employees.
Initiated in 1956, the Long Service Awards program recognizes significant milestone years of service: 25, 30, 35, 40, 45 and 50 years of employment. Each fall, award recipients are honoured with a special evening at Government House, in Victoria.
The program recognizes and honours the dedication of long-term BC Public Service employees and strengthens employee engagement.
Who is eligible for a Long Service Award?
- Employees under the BC Public Service Act who meet the minimum service requirement of 25 years or more, in five-year increments
- Employees of agencies or corporations that have a merger agreement with the B.C. government where past service time was recognized at the time of the merger
- Employees who have reached one of the Long Service Award milestones but have not previously been recognized
Calculating Years of Service
Long Service Awards are based on cumulative service time rather than continuous, and are not assessed in the same way seniority or pensionable time is calculated.
To calculate your eligibility
- Count calendar years
- Include the year you started and the current working year. If you have worked part of a year, it counts as one year, regardless of the month or day
- Include the years you worked as a seasonal, co-op, part-time or auxiliary employee
- Include the years worked before a break in service
The eligibility calculator (XLS, 90KB) calculates your years of service.
To attend a Long Service Awards ceremony or to receive a Long Service Award, you must register. Registration opens each year in March and closes at the end of April.
Current employees who have missed a milestone can register to receive an award and attend the ceremony as long as they register before reaching the next eligible milestone.
Official invitations are emailed to registered recipients in June.
To register or find out more about the program, connect with your Long Service Awards contact.
For general questions, contact the Long Service Awards team.
- Must register within one year of their service end date to attend the ceremony and receive their Long Service Award
- Must register within two years of their service end date to receive a Long Service Award