Highway 7 - Nelson to Silverdale - Construction Updates
Hours of Work
- Construction started in May 2018 and will be completed late Spring 2020.
- Construction daytime hours are Monday through Friday 7:00 AM to 8:00 PM; Saturday 10:00 AM to 8:00 PM.
- Construction night time hours are Monday through Friday 8:00 PM to 5:30 AM; Saturday 8:00 PM to 7:00 AM.
- In 2018, the contractor began placing preload/surcharge embankment of gravels on either side of Highway 7; installing several drainage culverts; and constructing a turn-around pull out on Silverdale Avenue located approximately 120m west of Nelson Street.
- In 2019 the contractor will complete preload/surcharge installation; drainage construction.
- In 2020, preload/surcharge will be removed; the widened highway lanes will be constructed and paved to accommodate two lanes of traffic in either direction.
Traffic and Pedestrian Details
- At the onset of construction, Chester Street between Silverdale Avenue and Highway 7 was closed to public access for the duration of the project.
- During day time, traffic on Highway 7 is maintained in both directions with Random Minor Interruptions of 2 minutes.
- During night time, traffic on Highway 7 is maintained with Single Lane alternating (SLAT) in place. No work will commence on Sundays or statuary holidays/long weekends.
- To increase worker and commuter safety on the project, concrete road barriers are in place to separate the work zone from traffic.
- During the course of construction the Contractor will implement temporary lane closures.
- Cyclist and pedestrian access through the construction zone along Highway 7 will be detoured via Silverdale Avenue.
- No stopping will be permitted on Highway 7 within the project limits.
- Please watch out for traffic pattern changes, follow Construction signs and obey Traffic Control Persons.