Electric Vehicles & HOV Lanes
The response to the Electric Vehicles in HOV lanes program has been very enthusiastic, and we are working hard to process the applications. However, due to high volumes, please allow three to six weeks for processing. Your patience is appreciated.
Electric vehicles (EVs) displaying an official decal are allowed in high occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes in British Columbia regardless of the number of passengers in the car, unless a sign is posted indicating otherwise.
Eligible vehicles include:
- Battery electric vehicle (BEV)
- Fuel cell vehicle (FCV)
- Plug in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV)
- Extended range electric vehicle (EREV)
To apply for an HOV lane/electric vehicle permit and decal, please complete the application form and return the signed application and a copy of the vehicle registration by facsimile, email or mail.
- Download the HOV/EV permit application form
- Download the List of Eligible Vehicles
- View a map of the provincial highway HOV lanes eligible for use by electric vehicles with permits
Your vehicle make, model, year and fuel type will be checked against the eligible vehicle list maintained by British Columbia’s Clean Energy Vehicle Program to confirm eligibility.