Waiver of Assessment Period for Logging Tax
We may assess or reassess your return within five years of the date on the original assessment for a taxation year.
However, the five-year assessment period doesn’t apply, and you can be assessed or reassessed tax at any time, if you:
- Never filed the tax return
- Made a misrepresentation or committed fraud in filing the tax return or providing information
- Filed a waiver within 5 years of the date of the original assessment for the taxation year
You may choose to voluntarily extend the five-year assessment period in connection with specific issue(s):
- To allow enough time for an adequate resolution of an audit
- To improve the accuracy of an assessment by allowing additional time for further discussion and collection of information before an assessment is issued
Once you waive the assessment period, we may assess or reassess tax until 6 months after the waiver has been revoked.
To waive the assessment period, complete the Waiver of Assessment Period (FIN 192) (PDF). You or your authorized representative (PDF) must sign and file the completed form within the five-year assessment period.
You can send the form by:
To revoke the waiver, complete the Notice of Revocation of Waiver (FIN 194) (PDF). You can send the form by:
The notice of revocation will take effect six months after the date it’s filed. The notice cannot be cancelled once it has been filed.