Health Authority Facility Access to PharmaNet
PharmaNet is a secure computer network that links community and hospital pharmacies throughout the province.
PharmaNet is available to authorized physicians, nurse practitioners, and pharmacists, and authorized persons acting on their behalf in health authority facilities.
Health authority facilities include
- Hospital emergency departments
- Outpatient clinics owned and operated by a health authority
- Long-term care facilities, 100% owned and operated by a health authority
PRIME is the web application that all individuals in health authority facilities, who require PharmaNet to deliver direct patient care, must use to request approval from the Ministry of Health to access PharmaNet, as of December 1, 2020. If you had access to PharmaNet on November 30, 2020, you do not need to enrol in PRIME at this time.
To access PharmaNet to deliver direct patient care:
- Regulated users must be a member in good standing with their B.C. professional health College (i.e., College of Pharmacists of BC, College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC, BC College of Nurses and Midwives).
- As of December 1, 2020, all new PharmaNet users, including regulated users and those acting on their behalf, must enrol in PRIME (new users are first-time PharmaNet users, or users who previously had access but did not have access on November 30, 2020).
Before December 1, 2020:
- Regulated users sign the Undertaking of Confidentiality and Acknowledgment of Disclaimer by Physician for Hospital Access to PharmaNet (HLTH4561 (PDF)
- Those accessing PharmaNet on behalf of a regulated user sign the Undertaking of Confidentiality and Acknowledgment of Disclaimer by Authorized Person for Hospital Access to PharmaNet, (HLTH4560 (PDF).
The terms of access signed in PRIME replace the confidentiality undertakings that practitioners previously signed to access PharmaNet.
If you had access to PharmaNet on November 30, 2020, you do not need to enrol in PRIME now to continue that access.
All healthcare practitioners in the province will need to enrol in PRIME by Spring 2022. Subscribe to the PRIME web page to be notified of onboarding schedules.
As part of registering for access to PharmaNet, health authority facilities must:
- Meet all of the conditions and requirements outlined in the Hospital Access to PharmaNet Policies and Procedures (PDF, 315KB). Note that these requirements will be replaced with a new site registration process in the future.
- Have a completed Undertaking to Complete Confidentiality Procedures for Hospital Access to PharmaNet (HLTH 4548) (PDF, 621KB). The list of sites must be kept up to date. These will be replaced with a new site registration process in the future.
Health authority facilities must select a vendor that has been approved by the ministry to provide hospital access to PharmaNet. For a list of approved vendors please contact the Ministry of Health at HLTH.CISSupport@gov.bc.ca.
For facilities that choose to implement a wireless connection to PharmaNet, please see Requirements for Wireless Access to PharmaNet. Note that this policy does not authorize access to PharmaNet outside the premises of an approved facility.
To help staff enrol in PRIME, you will need to identify a PharmaNet administrator in your area who either creates PharmaNet accounts for staff, or communicates with the PharmaNet software vendor. Your staff will need this person's email address when they enrol in PRIME.
How to help your staff:
- After Dec. 1, 2020, give or share Steps to Get Access to PharmaNet (PDF, 507KB). You can enter your PharmaNet administrator’s email before sharing it.
- Support your staff to set up their mobile BC Services Card, which is required to use PRIME. Those without a photo BC Services Card should contact PRIMESupport@gov.bc.ca
- Show them the instructional PRIME enrolment video
- Share the link to the PRIME web page