Considering residential care

Residential care facilities provide accommodation, meals and healthcare and supervision based on the persons needs. 

Most people who live in residential care facilities need help with mobility, bathing, dressing and personal care.  Many persons may also have significant memory challenges associated with dementia and need a secure environment to keep them safe.

Some residential care facilities are a “campus of care” that provides a range of housing, meals, support and care options, including independent living, assisted living and residential care.

There are also residential care facilities that provide short stay services such as respite, mental health or substance use treatment, convalescent care and end-of-life care (hospice).

What services are provided in residential care facilities?

To ensure that each persons care needs are met, a care plan is developed together with the resident, physician, family members or other caregivers.  The care plan identifies each resident’s abilities, preferences and needs, as well as the supports that they need to promote their health, safety and well-being.  The following services are provided to all people living in residential care facilities:

  • medication storage and administration;
  • assistance with activities of daily living (e .g ., bathing, eating, mobility, dressing, grooming or personal hygiene);
  • access to social and recreational activities; and
  • management of residents’ cash.

What does residential care cost?

Residential care facilities may be paid for by the health authority, by the person in care (or their family), or a combination of both.

In a private pay facility the person (or their family) are responsible for all costs related to their care and accommodation. Private pay facilities are a private business arrangement between the service provider and the person in care and are defined through a contract.

A person (or their family) who is considering residential care paid for by government must first be assessed by a health authority case manager. The case manager will determine eligibility and which facility is appropriate.

How do I arrange for seniors long-term residential care services?

If you think you need long-term residential care services or know of someone who might, you can contact your health authority's Home and Community Care office or you can have a health care professional, such as a doctor. Make a referral on your behalf.

How do I arrange for mental health or substance use residential care services?

How do I arrange residential care services for individuals with physical or developmental disabilities?

Community Living B.C. (CLBC) is a Crown agency under the Ministry of Social Development and Social Innovation. CLBC is under the Community Living Authority Act and fund supports and services in communities for adults with developmental disabilities.

CLBC has a Request for Service Policy that provides direction and guidance to CLBC staff who make decisions about CLBC funded services.