On November 25th 2021, amendments to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act received royal assent.
Most amendments take effect right away, however, select amendments will come into force at a later date to give public bodies more time to develop implementation plans, and some amendments will be further detailed in regulation or ministerial directions.
- Updating FOIPPA’s provisions for the disclosure of personal information outside Canada.
- Requiring public bodies to have a privacy management program.
- Implementing mandatory privacy breach reporting.
- Increasing penalties for offences and adding new offences for evading FOI.
- Introducing an application fee for non-personal FOI requests.
- Enabling more information sharing with Indigenous Peoples.
- Adding Indigenous cultural protections.
The FOIPPA Policy & Procedures Manual is being updated to reflect these changes and support implementation.
Sections will be posted as they are available, please subscribe to this page to receive updates.