Before you use the service, you must read and accept the terms set out in this Agreement.
Version 6, March 19, 2022
This Agreement is between you and the Province, and governs your use of the Service. By indicating that you agree to the terms set out in this Agreement, and in consideration of the Province providing you with access to the Service, you agree to the following:
- Acceptance of Agreement. In order to access or use the Service, you must: (a) be at least 19 years of age; or (b) if you are under 19, have obtained the consent of your parent or guardian to accept this Agreement on your behalf, in which case your parent or guardian is responsible for your use of the Service. If you have not met these requirements, you must not access or use the Service.
- Your Obligations. You must comply with the following:
- Use your own BC Services Card and Digital Identity. You must only use or attempt to use the BC Services Card and the Digital Identity issued to you.
- Protect your BC Services Card and Digital Identity. Except as expressly provided in section 2(c), you must not share your BC Services Card or your Digital Identity with any other individual or entity.
- Protect BC Services Cards and Digital Identities for Minors. If you are the parent or guardian of a minor, you must not use their BC Services Card or their Digital Identity on their behalf unless they are incapable of doing so on their own.
- Protect your Device. You are responsible for the security of any Device you use in connection with the Service, including without limitation for using appropriate Device Protection (e.g., a complex password/passcode or biometric information) and for keeping your Device Protection confidential, as well as for using appropriate security protections (e.g., using up to date anti-virus/anti-spyware software and up to date operating system version, limiting password attempts and setting the Device to lock after a short period of inactivity) in connection with your Device.
- Access to Device. You must not allow any other individual or entity to access your Device for the purpose of allowing that individual or entity to use your Digital Identity or to access or use the Service on your behalf.
- Disposal of Device. Before disposing of any Device on which you have installed the Enabling Software, you must delete the Enabling Software.
- Responsibility for card and activities. Despite any other provision of this Agreement, you are responsible for all activities that occur using your BC Services Card and your Digital Identity, whether those activities were performed by you or by someone else.
- Report issues. You must notify the Service helpdesk immediately if:
- Your BC Services Card, or the Mobile Device on which your Digital Identity is stored has been lost or stolen.
- The security of your Digital Identity or the Mobile Device on which your Digital Identity is stored has been compromised.
- Your Digital Identity has been compromised in any other way.
- Service helpdesk contact information is published on the Service website.
- Keep the Service secure. You must not do, or authorize or encourage others to do, any of the following:
- Tamper with or compromise any aspect of the Service or attempt to circumvent, destroy, or subvert, or take any action that might reasonably be construed as circumventing, destroying, or subverting any security measure associated with the Service.
- Use the Service for any unlawful or inappropriate purpose.
- Remove or alter any proprietary symbol or notice, including any copyright notice, trademark, or logo displayed in connection with the Service.
- Decompile, disassemble, reverse engineer, or otherwise copy any Enabling Software or other software or hardware associated with the Service or Content.
- Personal Information. The Service is governed by the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (British Columbia), as amended or replaced from time to time. When you visit the Service website or use the Service, personal information is automatically collected from you, through the use of audit logs or cookies. This information is collected, used, and disclosed according to the Privacy statement published on the Service website.
- Any additional personal information the Service collects from you is collected, used, and disclosed according to the Privacy statement.
- The Service will notify you of the personal information that will be shared with the Online Services you access using the Service.
- You understand and agree that your personal information will be used by the Service and may be disclosed, as required, to Online Services that you access using the Service.
- Ownership. All Enabling Software and Content are owned by the Province or its Suppliers and are protected by copyright, patent, trademark, and other laws protecting intellectual property rights.
- Subject to your compliance with this Agreement, the Province grants you a non-exclusive, revocable, limited license to install, access, and use the Enabling Software on your Device for the sole purpose of using the Service as specified in this Agreement.
- Except as expressly provided in this section 4, you do not have a licence to copy, distribute, republish, transmit, or otherwise exploit any part of the Enabling Software or any Content and the Province or its Suppliers, as applicable, expressly reserve all intellectual property rights in and to the Enabling Software and Content.
- You must not reproduce, distribute, modify, or make any other use of the Enabling Software or the Content without the prior written consent of the Province.
- If the Province terminates your access to and use of the Service under section 9, your license automatically ends and you must delete the Enabling Software from your Device.
- Service Provided “as is”. The Service is provided to you “as is”, and the Province and each of its Suppliers disclaims all representations, warranties, conditions, obligations and liabilities of any kind, whether express or implied, in relation to the Service, including without limitation implied warranties with respect to merchantability, satisfactory quality, fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement. Without limiting the general nature of the previous sentence, the Province does not represent or warrant that:
- The Service will be available.
- Your use of the Service will be timely, uninterrupted, or error free.
- The Content is accurate, reliable or complete.
- Any errors in the Service will be corrected.
- The Service will meet your expectations or requirements.
- Third-Party Online Services and Websites. The Province is not responsible for any Online Services that are not provided by the Province or for the content of any websites associated with such Online Services.
- No Guarantee of Eligibility. The Service confirms your identity and does not guarantee your eligibility for any Online Services. You are responsible for ensuring your eligibility for any Online Services.
- No Liability. Under no circumstances will the Province or any of its Suppliers be liable to you or to any other individual or entity for any direct, indirect, special, incidental, consequential or other loss, claim, injury, or damage, whether foreseeable or unforeseeable (including without limitation claims for damages for loss of profits or business opportunities, use or misuse of, or inability to use, the Service or any Device used in connection with the Service, interruptions, deletion or corruption of files, loss of programs or information, errors, defects or delays) arising out of or in any way connected with your access or use of the Service and whether based on contract, tort, strict liability or any other legal theory. The previous sentence will apply even if the Province or its Suppliers have been specifically advised of the possibility of any such loss, claim, injury, or damage.
- Suspension or Termination. The Province may at any time at its sole discretion suspend or terminate your access to and use of the Service, in whole or in part:
- If you do not follow this Agreement.
- As a security measure.
- For administrative purposes.
- Changes to the Service and/or this Agreement. The Province may at any time, in its sole discretion and without direct notice to you, make changes to the Service and/or to this Agreement. You will be asked to agree to the terms of this Agreement the first time you use the Service. When changes are made, you will be asked to agree to the updated terms the next time you use the Service. The current version of this Agreement is published on the Service website.
- General. In this Agreement, words expressed in the singular include the plural and vice versa. This Agreement, including any linked documents, is the entire agreement between you and the Province with respect to the subject matter of this Agreement. If any provision of this Agreement is invalid, illegal or unenforceable, that provision will be severed from this Agreement and all other provisions will remain in full force and effect. This Agreement is governed by and is to be construed in accordance with the laws of British Columbia and the applicable laws of Canada. By using the Service, you consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the courts of the province of British Columbia, sitting in Victoria, for the hearing of any dispute arising from or related to this Agreement or its subject matter.
Terms in this Agreement have the following meanings:
- BC Services Card means the physical BC Services Card, which may be used to obtain a Digital Identity to enable access to Online Services.
- Content means information and works made available, displayed or transmitted in connection with the Service, including, without limitation, data, text, audio, video, trademarks, trade names, logos, domain names, images, graphics, graphical user interface elements and designs, in any form or medium whatsoever.
- Device means a computer, Mobile Device or other device.
- Device Protection means the method of authentication (e.g., passcode, password or biometric information) that you use to access any Device.
- Digital Identity means an identifier linked to either your BC Services Card or other form(s) of identification accepted by the Service to enable access to Online Services.
- Enabling Software means any software made available by the Service for download to a Device to enable use of the Service in any respect.
- Mobile Device means a smart phone, tablet or other mobile device.
- Online Services means online services that may be accessed by you through the Service. Online Services may require you to present your Digital Identity.
- Province means Her Majesty the Queen in right of the Province of British Columbia.
- Service means the BC Login Service operated by the Province that allows an individual to prove their identity using their Digital Identity. The Service includes, without limitation, any and all Content and Enabling Software and any changes made to the Service as described in section 10 of this Agreement.
- Suppliers means licensors and service providers of the Province in connection with the Service.
- You, you, Your or your means the individual who is using the Service and, in the case of an individual under the age of 19, includes the individual’s parent or guardian.