Making a Complaint About a Licensed Child Care Facility

If you are concerned about the health, safety or well-being of a child in a licensed child day care facility, please make a complaint immediately. Complaints can be made to your local Health Authority Community Care Facility Licensing office.

If you are concerned that a child care provider may be caring for more than two children or a sibling group, not related to them, without a licence, you may file a complaint with your local Health Authority Community Care Facility Licensing office.

When making a complaint, please give as much as information as you can. Please include:

  • name of the provider,
  • location (address) of the program, and
  • a description of your concern.

Who to Contact to Make a Complaint

Contact your local Health Authority Community Care Facility Licensing Office.  You do not have to give your name to make a complaint.

Fraser Health Authority

Central Intake:  604.587.3936 

Abbotsford: 604.870.6000

Burnaby: 604.918.7683

Chilliwack: 604.702.4950

Delta: 604.507.5478

Tricities: 604.949.7700

(Port Coquitlam, Coquitlam, Port Moody)

Surrey/Whiterock: 604.930.5405


Island Health Authority

Campbell River: 250.850.2110

Courtenay: 250.331.8620

Nanaimo: 250.739.5800

Victoria: 250.519.3401

Interior Health Authority

Licensing Direct: 1-877-980-5118 

Cranbrook: 250.420.2220

Kamloops: 250.851.7340

Kelowna: 1-877-980-5118

Nelson: 250.505.7200

Penticton: 250.770.5540

Salmon Arm: 250.833.4100

Vernon: 250.549.5707

Williams Lake: 250.302.5000


Northern Health Authority

Dawson Creek: 250.719.6500

Fort St. John: 250.263.6000

Prince George & Smithers: 250.565.2150 

Terrace: 250.631.4222

Vancouver Coastal Health 

Powell River: 604.485.3310

Richmond: 604.233.3147

Sechelt: 604.885.5164

Squamish: 604.892.2293

Vancouver: 604.675.3800

North Shore: 604.983.6700

Licensed Child Care Complaint Process

Generally, once a complaint is received:

  • The licensing officer will determine if your complaint falls under the scope of the Community Care and Assisted Living Act.
  • If your complaint is under the scope of the Act, an investigation will be conducted.
  • The facility will be told there is a complaint and given an opportunity to correct the situation. (Note: Licensing does not reveal the name of someone who makes a complaint, if anonymity is requested.)
  • If the investigation reveals non-compliance with the Act or its regulations, the facility will be required to correct the situation and ensure future compliance.
  • You will not be provided with the outcome of the investigation, however you may request a summary.

Your complaint will be handled as quickly as possible. Some complaints can be resolved with in a matter of days. Other complaints may take longer if they are complex.

Some complaints, may involve other agencies such as the Ministry for Children and Family Development or the RCMP.

Privacy Protection

Except as described below, Community Care Facility Licensing does not reveal the name or personal information of someone who makes a complaint.

However, if the investigation results in action taken against the facility licensee or if the issue is taken to the Community Care and Assisted Living Appeal Board or is handled as a criminal matter, information or documents you supply may be used and may become public information.

Visit your regional Health Authority Website to learn more about Community Care Facility Licensing.