Strategic Innovation Fund
The Strategic Innovation Fund (SIF) supports large-scale, transformative and collaborative projects that help position Canada to prosper in the global knowledge-based economy. SIF projects promote the long-term competitiveness of Canadian industries, clean growth, and the advancement of Canada's strategic technological advantage.
As part of the Innovation and Skills Plan, the Strategic Innovation Fund plays a key role in the continuum of innovation funding, providing support for projects through simplified application processes, accelerated processing, and assistance that is more responsive and focused on results.
For a complete list of projects that have received SIF support, please visit Announced projects.
The Strategic Innovation Fund covers all sectors of the economy and is available to for-profit and not-for profit organizations with the goal of supporting the Canadian innovation ecosystem.
The program has two broad components:
- Business Innovation and Growth (Streams 1 to 3)
- Encourage research & development (R&D) that accelerate technology transfer and commercialization of innovative products, processes and services,
- Facilitate the growth and expansion of firms in Canada, and
- Attract and retain large-scale investments to Canada.
- Collaborations and Networks (Streams 4 & 5)
- Advance industrial research, development and technology demonstration through collaboration between the private sector, researchers and non-profit organizations, and
- Support large-scale, national innovation ecosystems through high impact collaborations across Canada.
Last updated: September 16, 2020